petdrz, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.

my cat bit her tongue today and its very sore. I went to the

my cat bit her tongue today and it's very sore. I went to the vet and received anti-biotics for her, but still, it looks as if it's too painful for to eat or drink water. What do I do?

Dr. Z. :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I'm a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy to work with you.

Dr. Z. :

I am sorry to hear that Pixie is having this problem. Did your vet prescribe any pain medications for her in addition to the antibiotics?

Dr. Z. :

It appears that you may be offline at the moment or not able to see my replies. I am going to switch up to Q and A mode as that may be easier for us to respond up and back.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, she has been prescribed: Prednisolone and Clavamox Drops. One, I think, is an antibiotic. The other is for her wheezing. When I took her to the vet, she had labored breathing. They took x-rays and discovered she may also have a mild case of asthma.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm sorry that I did not respond sooner. I thought it would be like a Q&A session, not a live chat.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi there, it's day 2 and my cat still cannot consume any food. I'm going to run to the store and see if I can get baby food, yogurt or milk. I've read in other places that cats are lactose intolerant, but I've also read that very small amounts can be acceptable.. are these good ideas? Also, I responded to your questions yesterday with this response: Yes, she has been prescribed: Prednisolone and Clavamox Drops. One, I think, is an antibiotic. The other is for her wheezing. When I took her to the vet, she had labored breathing. They took x-rays and discovered she may also have a mild case of asthma. Can you help please?

Hello Carmen.

I am sorry for all of the confusion last night. We actually have the option of either Q and A or live chat on the site, but the chat often has problems and it is unclear if the other party is online at the time or not. Thank you for responding back this morning and updating me as to how things are going for Pixie.

I am very concerned that she is still not eating. Is there a visible lesion on her tongue that you can monitor? If so, is it looking any better than when it occurred?

Is her breathing any better?

Soft foods are about all you can offer. Some cats do have a problem with dairy products while others have no problem at all, but I would try to limit as much as possible as if she is one that cannot tolerate too much, it will lead to GI upset and/or diarrhea. The clavamox (antibiotic) tends to do the same so we will want to limit the diary. The baby food is a good idea, but make sure that onion or garlic are not listed as one of the ingredients.

If you can't get her to eat anything or are not able to syringe feed her there are a couple of options. One is to have your vet prescribe something for pain. The prednisone is an anti-inflammatory which will help with swelling and pain indirectly, but she may need something more.

Depending on how severe the bite wound is and how long is the anticipated healing time, she may need a temporary feeding tube placed to aid in her nutritional supplementation. Syringe feeding is not the most effective, but is ok for a very short term, but is a longer healing is expected, a feeding tube may be more efficient.

It is also possible she is just afraid to eat as she remembers that it hurt to do so the other day. If that seems to be a possibility, especially as the tongue is healing, an appetite stimulant may be helpful. The drug called mirtazipine can be prescribed and if very effective in some cases.

I hope this is helpful. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back with additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue. Kindly rate me when you are done. Thank you for allowing me to assist you.

Dr Z

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This is an awesome response! Thank you so much for your help. In answer to your question, yes, she has a visible lesion on her tongue. Yesterday it was a bright red. Today it's a light pink.. so it still looks raw, but it also seems to be healing up nicely. I was able to mix in 1/2 a teaspoon in with cold yogurt and that coaxed her to eat. She's still not back to a full appetite, but at least eating a little bit. Syringe feeding resulted in food on floor, food on me.. but no food in kitty, so I'm hoping it doesn't come to that. If she's still having trouble by day 3, I'll go to the vet and ask about the pain killers you suggested. Again, thanks for your help.

You are most welcome and thank you for replying. It sounds as if things are doing somewhat better and hopefully it will be all uphill from here. Oral tissue tends to heal very quickly so if you are able to coax her today, I'll bet she will be back to normal soon. Poor girl!

Thank you kindly for the positive rating and the generous bonus. It is truly appreciated.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns that I can address.
Have a great weekend!

Dr Z

Hi Carmen,

Just wondering how Pixie is doing today? Is she eating better for you?

Dr Z
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr. Z, thanks for asking. I only had to syringe feed Pixie once and then she was willing to try eating food on her own. At first she would only eat if I mashed everything up, but today she was able to eat some shredded meat. My only concern is that I think how she bit her tongue is because she either jumped down to hard or fell off of her tower. Now she's completely afraid of it, and afraid to play with toys around it. Trying to entice her with treats and catnip. All in all, Pixie is better, and I'm happy she's at least eating on her own.

Hello Carmen,

Thank you so much for the follow up and I glad to hear that Pixie is eating on her own. A non-eating cat is always a worry.

As far as the aversion to her tower, it will most likely subside over time. There is not much you can do other than to let her come back to it on her own. It may help to move it to a different space if that is possible.

If you have any questions in the future that I may help you with, ask for Dr Z in the question title or see my profile to request me. You can save my profile to your browser favorites with this link: