Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

My cat took some voldka and the next day he cant hardly br

My cat took some voldka and the next day he cant hardly breath
Category: Cat
Expert:  Candy R. replied 9 months ago.

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX X have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am so sorry to hear this has happened.

How much Vodka did he ingest and when did this happen?

What color are his gums?

Is he able to walk?

Are you willing to take him to the vet if needed?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
He took maybe about 2 full spoons of it
He is able to walk fine and. His gums are slightly pink.
And if possible I don't wanna take him to the vet
Expert:  Candy R. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you .

I fully understand not wanting to go to the vet this is something I try to help most people avoid if possible. Here is my concern.
This much alcohol in a cat even an adult cat can and will result in Ethanol toxicity resulting in several different symptoms including central nervous system depression, trouble breathing, low body temp,low glucose levels, heart attack and even death.
Difficult or slowed breathing is a sign of severe toxicity and this can be fatal.
Please read over the following information

If he had any vomiting due to ingesting this it is also possible that he aspirated some of the vomit into the lungs and that is what is actually causing the trouble breathing.

I have to suggest having him seen by the vet for supportive care to not suggest this would be irresponsible on my part and not in his best interest.

I understand that in some cases getting veterinary care is just not an option and in that case there is not much you can do for him at home. If you can not have him seen then I would suggest rubbing some pancake syrup or honey on his gums to elevate the glucose levels. Check his rectal temp if under 100 lay him on a heating pad that has been covered with a towel on low to maintain his temp. Normal temp is 101-102.5.
I would not force food or water at this point and just keep an eye on him.

Unfortunately without veterinary care I can not guarantee he will not continue to decline but all you can do at home are the things I suggested above.

I hope he does ok. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
Candy
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience: Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer