Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM

Hi, my 12-year-old cat has started to have minor intermittent

Hi, my 12-year-old cat has started to have minor intermittent head tremors. This is the first time I've noticed them. I've had complete blood work done and she is pretty good with some minor indications of kidney malfunction. She had a T4 done 2 weeks ago (which I read can cause this symptom). Otherwise, she appears to be normal. Is this something I should be worried about, short-term or long-term? Thank you. - Jonathan

Dr. J. :

Hi Jonathan,

Dr. J. :

Head Tremors are not uncommon in older cats and can have a number of different causes. It is great that you have already seen your vet and had some of the easier to diagnose causes ruled out. Some of the abnormalities that can cause head tremor s include blood sugar problems, electrolyte disturbances, thyroid dysfunction, thiamine deficiency and hypertension. If she has not had a blood pressure check which you did not mention in your note then I would have your vet check this. Other types of problems that can cause head tremors include some types of seizures or disorders that involve a certain area of the brain known as the cerebellum. And finally brain tumors can also cause head tremors. To work this type of case up your vet would need to do a CBC, full chem panel, heartworm, Felv, FIV testing, T4 and urinalysis. I know you have said at least some of this was already done. As mentioned before a blood pressure check but also to consider would be a spinal tap, spinal radio-graphs and possibly an MRI of the brain. Having said this, if you cannot or choose not to go that far, I would at least consider having all the blood work done and the blood pressure check. Then at least perhaps a course of steroids with or without antibiotics may improve her condition if there is an inflammatory or infectious cause. Finally, if none of that helps,then keeping her comfortable and happy is most important. I do hope this has helped you and please feel free to ask any further questions you may have. I am very happy to help in any way that I can.Most Sincerely, DRJ

Hi Jonathan,
I hope your kitty is doing ok. Please let me know if you have any other questions or if I can be of further help to you. Sincerely, Dr. J