Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

My 10 year old cat has a white bald spot on his back (right

My 10 year old cat has a white bald spot on his back (right side of his spine), just above his right shoulder. The bald spot has been there for years and just seems a little bigger these days. I think it's a little bigger because I've been using a brush that has been removing more hair than usual. Should I be worried about the spot? I have no reason to think that the spot irritates my cat.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hi Sav, and welcome!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you and Harry today.

If the white bald spot has been there for years and doesn't seem to be red, scaly, oozing or painful to Harry, it's most likely nothing to be too concerned about. However, your vet might want to investigate further to find out the cause of this spot and decide if it needs treatment.

There are various medical conditions which may cause a cat to lose hair in a specific place and one of them is a fungal skin infection called ringworm; however, your description of the spot does not sound like it would be this.

It would be a good idea to have Harry's vet take a look at the spot and take a skin scraping (painless), so cells can be examined under the microscope either by the vet or a laboratory.

From your description, it doesn't sound like there's any reason for concern at this particular time, but getting it checked out by the vet is always advisable.

I hope all will be well with Harry!

If you need any additional information or clarification, simply 'Reply' back before rating and I will be happy to help with any follow up questions. Please do not rate negatively if you still need information. Just click "Reply" instead. Thank you!

If you found my answer helpful, a Positive Rating and Positive feedback on the survey, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Laughing

If you would like to request me to answer any new, future questions, please begin your post with "For Cher Only" and I will respond as soon as possible.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm trying to avoid taking Harry to the vet because it is very stressful for him. I just can't seem to work out what would have caused the bald spot?? The bald spot isn't red, scaly, oozing or painful and is hyper visible because of the black hair along his spine. It's about 1cm long and 3 mm wide.Thanks for the information and advice.

Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, Sav and you're most welcome!

Thanks for your helpful reply.

I understand completely, wanting to avoid taking Harry to the vet. If you have 'housecall' vets in your area, you can have him seen in that way. Look in your phonebook or look up online, housecall vets that come to YOU, and Harry can be examined in his own environment which greatly reduces the stress factor of having to go to the vet's office.

It's possible that at one time, he had a sore, insect bite, small cyst or scab there, and when it healed, the fur just never grew back. Also, are you aware if he was ever vaccinated in that area? Years ago, vets would give vaccinations near the shoulders, but now it has been proven that is unsafe and all vaccinations are given in the hindquarters.

If it's not bothering him, there's no emergency to have him seen, but since it's gotten bigger, see what you can do about having a vet come to the house. If necessary, you might be referred to a veterinary dermatologist.

Best regards,
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience: Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sav,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Harry. How is everything going?

Cher
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Cher,

I've decided to apply / rub in a small amount of an antifungal cream (for humans) with "Terbinafine Hydrochloride 1%" to the bald spot. I've read that it is quite safe provided cats don't ingest the cream. I will try this once a day for a week and see if there is any improvement. I may have been wrong with my initial assessment of the bald spot. The skin may be 'scaly'.

Thanks,

Sav

Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, Sav and thanks very much for your update on Harry.

If you now notice that the skin is 'scaly', it's possibly ringworm, so using the antifungal cream should be alright. Just make sure there is no way he can lick it. If you don't see an improvement in a week, try to have a vet who makes housecalls come and take a look at it.

I hope all will be well with Harry!

Warmest regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will continue to monitor the spot and plan to call a vet if the spot doesn't improve.

Thanks again,

Sav

Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, Sav.

That sounds like a great plan! You're most welcome; it's my pleasure to be of help to you and Harry! Keep me posted and let me know if he sees a vet and what the diagnosis is. Thanks! Here is more information about ringworm (even though you said you read about it): Ringworm

Best wishes,
Cher