Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

Hi, I found my cat this morning in our garden his tail was

I found my cat this morning in our garden his tail was completely missing as well as a large area of skin and fur in a circle where his tail should have been. There was no blood on the injury or any where else do you have any idea what could have happened
Thank you
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

It sounds like this may have been some type of tail degloving injury that got infected and spread. A degloving injury happens when something pulls on the tail or wraps around the tail and the skin will pull away from the underlying bone. If this happens and it never gets treated, it will get infected and move back to the rump area.

It's also possible that this is a manx cat- these are tail-less cats. If a manx cat had a bite or scratch room over the rump area, then it could abscess out and leave a large open sore over the back side. These can get quite large when not treated appropriately.

It was likely one of the two. It's hard telling without actually seeing it. If you can catch the cat and take it to a humane society or SPCA or animal shelter, they could care for it and find a home there.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This is my cat I found it dead today it wasn't ill or infected it had its tail and rear missing there was no blood around the the injury or next to my cat

Oh I'm sorry. I thought this was a stray cat you saw.

In that case, he was probably either hit by a car and had the tail pulled off or he may have been shot or he may have had the tail caught in something like a fan-belt from a car. Those are the most likely causes. It could have also been an injury from a dog attack on the cat.

He probably bled a decent amount somewhere else and then wandered home and died. They actually bleed less than you'd think with even these large injuries.

I'm sorry for your loss.