FelineMed, Licensed Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Accomplished LVT for over 10 years with a BS in Biology as well. Experience working in 2 feline specific hospitals.

Hi my cat is 2yrs old and she always pees on the tiles near

Hi my cat is 2yrs old and she always pees on the tiles near the front door and also on the tiles near the garage door.
She has a litter tray and also a cat door which is always left unlocked for her. Help! Not sure why she keeps doing this :-)
Hi! I am a Licensed Veterinary Technician and have worked in 2 different cat hospitals for well over 10 years. I'm looking forward to assisting you!

I'm sorry to hear that you are having this problem with Mitsus. Inappropriate urination issues in cats can be quite frustrating!

I do have a couple of questions first though:

1) Is she your only pet?

2) For how long has she done this? Does she ever have stools outside of the litter box?

3) Does she have a history of any other problems?

Thanks in advance for the information!
Once you answer, please give me a bit to respond : )
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi there

Many thanks for responding to my query.

1) Yes she is our only cat - she is very loving and always wants attention and sleeps on the bed with us at night and always on our laps of an evening when we are watching TV.

2) She has been doing this not long after we got her as a kitten - in our old house she used to pee in the laundry corner which was away from the door leading outside and about 18months ago we moved into a new house and she has been peeing like this on and off - she used to pee in the corner of the room next to her litter tray but have not noticed her doing that for at least 4-6 months, now its the same two spots near the front door and garage.

3) No history of any other problems.

Many thanks

Sure! Thank you so much for the information!

So, it sounds like she has been at this for awhile : O

That is great that you have already cleaned the areas well where she has already urinated. Thankfully, it is much easier to clean a tiled
area rather than carpet : )

One great odor remover that you can buy from your local pet store is Nature's Miracle:

Although it sounds like Mitsus has been doing this for some time now, you should still take her in to your vet (unless you have already done so) to have a urinalysis done to ensure that she is not urinating inappropriately due to a medical condition such as a basic urinary tract infection or bladder stones. Often times cats will assume that
any pain while urinating must be due to the litter box, so they attempt to go elsewhere thinking it may hurt less.

If that turns out to be normal, then most likely she is urinating outside of the box due to behavioral reasons, which can often be caused by stress. If there was anything stressful in her environment or any recent big change, that could be the cause. Removing any possible known stressors for Mitsus can help the situation. Sometimes though, what our cats view as "stressful" does not seem to us like "such a big deal" to us, but cats can view things quite differently
: )
Since you say she is a very affectionate cat, it is possible she may feel at times that she does not get as much time with you as she would like and is acting out for that reason. So definitely make sure to give her some extra one on one time if that is possible.

One thing you can do to help relieve Mitsus' stress is buy some Feliway diffusers, which are similar to air fresheners, but release
synthetic "happy cat pheromones" instead:

These diffusers have a calming effect on cats and can often help with inappropriate urination.

Also, cats tend to do things out of habit, so if she has created a bad habit of going outside of the litter box, then retraining her to use
the box and creating a good habit again can help. This is done by confining her to a small space, such as a bathroom (with no bathroom mats) with her litter box and food and water and after she has been using the litter box well in this small area, you gradually give her more and more space until she is free to roam again.

In addition, a good rule to go by is to always have 1 more litter box than the number of cats you have and to make sure you have at least one box per house level. You may want to give Mitsus a couple different options as far as litter boxes go as well. For example, if you have an uncovered box, also give her one that is covered. If you use scented litter, try also giving her a box with unscented litter. The more options, the better! Of course, be sure to clean the boxes regularly since some cats hate to use a box that is even slightly dirty.

If none of this seems to work, there are some behavioral anti-anxiety medications that can help greatly with inappropriate elimination.
Each one can work differently for each cat, so you would have to work with your vet to figure out the correct medication and dose for Mitsus.

I hope Mitsus' problem can be resolved soon! Cats can be such finicky creatures, but yet we still love them : O

Please do not hesitate to ask any further questions. I aim to provide you with the best service possible. If you feel I have done so, then
a positive rating is greatly appreciated! If not, please let me know how I can better assist you. Thanks! XXXXX

Hi Emma,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Mitsus. How is everything going?