Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

Terri, My eleven year old cat has never had completely formed

Terri,
My eleven year old cat has never had completely formed stools but now after having a shot of Convenia she has goopy unformed large masses of stool. Yellow in color and no smell. This started three days after having the shot for a sneezing/coughing problem That problem has cleared up but not the goopy poop. It has been two weeks and I am beginning to get worried. She is eating, drinking, and acting normal, just has the poop problem. I had her to my vet again on Monday and they gave her another antibiotic, this time for the gut. They didn't detect bacteria in the tiny stool sample but did this as a precaution. They did detect some kind of debris that sort of looked like it was plant based but Riley never goes outside and I have no plants in the house. She eats Purina Indoor Formula and has been on it for a long while. What are your thoughts?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

Hi Rhonda,

Thanks so much for requesting me.

Can you please tell me what Riley eats so I can help.

Thanks,

Terri

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

As I stated in my initial post, she eats Purina Indoor Cat Formula Dry Food.

Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

Dear Rhonda,

Thanks so much for your helpful reply.I did see that you said she eats Purina but I thought you were only giving her dry food because she has diarrhea.

Antibiotics destroy the "good" bacteria in the gut, and causes diarrhea, hence they told you to used a probiotic. It should help but may take a few days to take effect.

So, in the meantime, get a jar of chicken or turkey baby food. Make sure there are no onions or garlic in the ingredients. Add one tsp of rice cereal or boiled white rice.

Feed this combination and the probiotic until Riley's stool is normal for 48 hours.Then she can resume her normal diet.

You can use a half tsp a day of plain yogurt for a probiotic as it too contains acidophilus.

Please let me know how Riley is feeling. If you have any questions just press reply and I will be here for you.

Very warmly,

Terri

Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience: Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

Dear Rhonda,

Thanks so much for your positive rating and generous bonus. VERY appreciated!

I want to mention that some cats develop a sensitivity to the grains that are in supermarket cat food.

So, if Riley continues to have loose stools try a natural food like Halo.

It comes in wet and dry varieties. Most pet stores sell it.

http://www.halopets.com/natural-cat-food.html

Plus canned food is best for cats:
www.catinfo.org

Please let me know how Riley is doing.

sending as an info request so you are not charged again.

Fondly,

Terri

Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.
Hi Rhonda,

I am following up to see how Riley is doing.
I hope she is MUCH better.

Hugs,
Terri