Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

Hi Terri,,, I have a similar question.. I have 3 cats that

Hi Terri,,, I have a similar question.. I have 3 cats that have the odd sneeze.. Listening to my Olivia sneezing now....all started in the last couple Lily is about 10 the other 2 are 3 yrs... No runny eyes...healthy otherwise.. Eat dry food from Costco ... The odd wet food .. No changes & are indoor cats... My dog had Kennel cough for only 3 days.... Might he have passed it on?
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Terri is offline at the moment but I would be happy to help you.

Sneezing can be caused by many things. Some of the most common problems that can effect all cats in the home at the same time are:

* The Herpes virus( not contagious to humans) .This a viral infection that is very contagious to other cats so not at all uncommon to see multiple cats in a household have problems at the same time.
For this we suggest starting a L lysine supplement . You can get this at any health food store or pet shop. 500mgs per day for 7 days then 250 mgs per day .
You can also get this in treat form and one treat contains the daily recommended amount.'
Click here for these treats

* Environmental allergies or irritation to something in the house such as carpet/fabric sprays,air fresheners, perfumes etc
You can try over the counter Chlor-Trimeton at a dose of 2-4 mgs once per day if you feel this could be allergies.
Click here for more on this

To help relieve nasal irritation you can use saline nose drops. We recommend Little Noses for infants. 2-3 drops in each side of the nose twice daily.

Sneezing can also be the first sign of a bacterial upper respiratory infection. If anyone develops any green or yellow discharge from the nose or eyes, stops eating or seems to decline in any way they should be seen by a vet.As long as this is just an occasional sneeze then I would not be to worried but I would try to see if you can pin point anything in the house that may be causing a problem, If they start sneezing more often then using teh saline and the L lysine may help.

Kennel cough is not something that we see spread from dogs to cats so I would not be worried about that.

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the speedy response ... Also wanted to clarify ...... Not sure if this makes a difference but... Realized that they are not really dong a "sneeze" like the typical "ahh-choo" silly as this sounds but more like an outgoing "whish whish" sniff-sniff from the nostrils ... ) does this make any scence? Hard to spell the sound.... Thank you for this service.... Didn't know it existed before googling it....awesome to have you offer this before taking 3 cats to vet :)
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX Kats Lady,,,,,,,Allyson

You are very welcome. Yes this does make sense and often this is due to irritation from an allergy or something in the house. Try to think of anything you may have changed in the house such as cleaning supplies, laundry soap,perfumes, body lotions etc. It could also be something outside if the pollen count is high in your area When this starts I would try the saline and see if this helps if not the I would go with the Chlor-Trimeton 2mg once per day.

I am on every night so please do not hesitate to come back should you every need me in the future. I am happy to help in any way I can.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you Candy for your time & concern:). Allyson
You are very welcome and I am always here if you need me. Please give them all a good head scratch from me.