Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

My 17 year old cat has been crying in pain tonight. Her back

My 17 year old cat has been crying in pain tonight. Her back left leg collapses when she walks. This started yesterday but did not seem too bad then. I had picked her up suddenly when a dog came into the room and that may have injured her leg or it may be something else. (She has been previously diagnosed as in possible kidney failure.) Her leg collapses and then she recovers for awhile and then her leg collapses again. She hides and then comes out of hiding and runs around the house and then runs to me crying. She is eating and urinating normally. I made arrangements for a vet come to the house tomorrow afternoon (earliest appointment) and will take her to emergency if necessary. I wonder if she might have a blood clot or a heart issue that is causing this. I would appreciate any thoughts you might have about what I should do to help her with the pain and what I should be observing in order to make the best decision.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 10 months ago.
Hello, and thanks very much for requesting me to answer your question.

I'm so sorry to hear that Emma is experiencing a problem with her left, hind leg. From your description of her symptom, it's possible that she injured or caused trauma to that leg and that's why it's painful to her. She also may have age-related arthritis in that leg or you picking her up suddenly, yesterday.

Typically, with a saddle thrombus (blood clot) due to cardiomyopathy (heart condition), both hind legs are affected (although it's possible for only one to be affected) and she wouldn't be able to walk on them at all, as this would cause paralysis, yet it is extremely painful. Also, feel the paw pads on the hind paws. If they are cold and/or appear bluish-purple (when normally pink), this would inidcate no circulation is getting through to the area and a blood clot is present.

Due to her age, the sudden onset of this symptom, and her pain level, it would be advisable to have her evaluated in person as soon as possible, if you can get her to an ER vet center now. Waiting until tomorrow afternoon for the housecall vet would prolong her pain and it's best to get a definite diagnosis right away. The ER vet center will have imaging equipment, if needed, which the housecall vet may not have.

I hope all will be well with Emma and please update me on her condition and the vet's findings. Thank you!

If you need any additional information or clarification, simply 'Reply' back before rating and I will be happy to help with any follow up questions. Please do not rate negatively if you still need information. Just click "Reply" instead. Thank you!

If you found my answer helpful, a Positive Rating and Positive feedback on the survey, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Laughing

If you would like to request me to answer any new, future questions, please begin your post with "For Cher Only" and I will respond as soon as possible.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Cher,

Thank you for your thorough response. My concern with bringing her to the E.R. is that the trauma of the trip will be more damaging to her than what she is experiencing now. (Hiding and crying to me when I look in on her.) The last time she went to the vet she peed in her carrier and it took her some time to recover. I think that you are suggesting that the pain or fear that she is experiencing outweighs these factors. Is that right?

Expert:  Cher replied 10 months ago.

Hi again, and you're most welcome.

I understand why you feel the trauma of a trip in the carrier and the car will be quite stressful on her at this time, but the decision is up to you. If she is constantly cying in pain, she can be given something by the vet for the pain (human pain relievers are toxic to cats) and the problem can be diagnosed and treated so she's feeling more comfortable, sooner, if you bring her to the ER tonight. Yes, I'm suggesting that although it will be stressful for her to go in the carrier (line it with a towel or two) to the ER, it's not fair to have her continue to experience pain all night and into tomorrow afternoon when the housecall vet can come. Now, I understand why you prefer the housecall vet to bringing her to the vet's office!

Also, if the hind leg problem is related to a blood clot/cardiomyopathy, you need to know that and have it treated asap. If she has a strain, sprain or even a hairline fracture, treatment may be needed.

I know how you feel and you would never subject her to the trauma of going to the ER vet center unless it were absolutely necessary, but if she were mine, I'd choose to do that.

Poor Emma! I do hope she's feeling better once she's seen in person, diagnosed and treated!

If you're able, can you please update me on how she's feeling and what you decided to do re: bringing her to the ER, plus tell me the vet's findings? Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX it

Warmest regards,

Cher

Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience: Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience