Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

I need help...I just got a 10 week old kitten ...was a day

I need help...I just got a 10 week old kitten ...was a b day present for me today...very cute but found 3 fleas on the back of her neck...Help...what can I do??
Hi there,

Thank you for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am happy to be able to help you today. Before I put an answer together for you, I am going to need a little more info:

- When did you notice the fleas?
- Has she had any sort of flea treatment yet?

Once you get back to me, I will start typing up my response. Thanks for this and I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Dr E
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just got her this evening..and I looked her over..(my daughter picked the kitty up for me from the orginal owner)...I only found 2 on her...back of her neck...I just ddnt know what I am allowed to use on a 10 week old kitten.

Thank you for your time :)

Hi again Leanne,

No problem - I am happy to help. There are a number of products that can be used on a 10 week old kitten. Advantage is one of the better options and you can get this from your local Vet over the weekend. Frontline is another option, however Advantage seems to be a little more reliable.

For now - see if you can find, catch and pinch the live fleas on her to get rid of them. She will be be absolutely fine in the immediate short term, but do try and get some flea treatment for her tomorrow if you can.

I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards

Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had responded again and I think it disappeared or something..I was saying that we just found alot more on her down by here hips...

So I can only get advantage from our vet?? If I use frontline or advantage where do the fleas that are alive on her go ? Will my house get infested in just a couple of days?

Sorry for all the questions..I dont know much about fleas and kittens lol

No problem Leanne.

The Advantage will kill the live fleas on her as well as flea larvae that may be in your environment. Your house should be ok, but I would recommend washing all of her bedding as well as a precaution after she has been treated. Be sure to treat any other cats or dogs at the same time (if you have any).

Yes - you will need to get the flea treatment from your Vet. While there are some flea treatments available at super markets, these are generally ineffective and can be quite dangerous/toxic when used in small animals - especially kittens.

Dr E
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok..thank you so much for your time and information...I may be back with another question her and there till we have her handled lol

No problem Leanne!

Thanks again,

Dr E
Hi Leanne,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Calico Mix. How is everything going?

Pet Doc