knstrand
knstrand, Veterinarian
Experience:  I'm a small animal veterinarian
71139618

Im having a hard time with my cat losing weight..

Customer Question

I'm having a hard time with my cat losing weight..
Category: Cat
Expert:  knstrand replied 1 year ago.

knstrand :

Hello, my name isXXXXX I will try to help answer your question about Puddy.

knstrand :

Are you trying to accomplish weight loss for Puddy? or is she loosing weight when you don't want her to?

Customer:

Hello, Oh yea, I really didn't state that correctly, did I? I want to help her lose the weight that I helped put on her! ooops..

knstrand :

Okay .... there is a new diet made by Hills (Science diet) called metabolic diet which I have had alot of good reports about with regards XXXXX XXXXX weight loss in cats.

knstrand :

Unfortunately it is a prescription weight loss food, so would require an exam with her regular vet to obtain.

knstrand :

Have you tried any other forms of low calorie diets?

knstrand :

It's definitely a good idea to try and accomplish weight loss before things like diabetes, or hepatic lipidosis become a problem for Puddy.

knstrand :

If you haven't tried anything yet, simply switching to a light food (such as science diet light) might help, and of course regulating her intake.

Customer:

Just the wet food (fancy feast) and dry (IAMS) for hairballs and digestion.

knstrand :

Unfortunately cats who are free fed (or simply have access to a bowl) will over eat. They will even over eat a low cal or diet food negating any affectivness it may be having.

knstrand :

Well before jumping to a prescription weight loss plan, try Science diet light food and try to regulate the amount she gets (start meal feeding, instead of free feeding)

Customer:

So me kleaving the food out 24-7 is not a good thing?

Customer:

*leaving

knstrand :

Well unfortunately not for a cat we are trying to accomplish weight for.

Customer:

I have 3 cats altogether..

Customer:

They are food spoiled by me..

knstrand :

That's where it becomes a sticky situation .... other cats who will be upset too. Unless you can get them all onto a meal feeding schedule... Breakfast and dinner.

Customer:

unfortunately..

knstrand :

It's hard to be strong, but it will be for Puddy's best interest to lose weight.

knstrand :

Each cat should have about 1/3 cup dry and 1/4 can food per meal ..... see how this goes.

Customer:

Is it ok to feed them wet food in the morning and at night? Or only dry food?

knstrand :

It will be hard because they will probably act like you are trying to starve them initially.

Customer:

That twice a day?

knstrand :

Yes twice daily

Customer:

I know..how sad..but I know its for her own good.

Customer:

Mine too.

knstrand :

Yes it is .... good luck

knstrand :

do you have any more questions?

Customer:

Ok. Thats what i'll do then.

knstrand :

Hopefully this helps

Customer:

It will...i'm sure it will compared to what i'm feeding them now. They will end up sick and I do not want that at all..

Customer:

Thank you so so much!

knstrand :

You are welcome, have a nice night

knstrand, Veterinarian
Experience: I'm a small animal veterinarian
Expert:  knstrand replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  knstrand replied 1 year ago.
Hi Shea,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Puddy. How is everything going?

knstrand
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Everything is going a little better. You are right about the part of feeling like your starving them! I know i'm actually saving there lives from obesity.

Were gonna keep working at it.

Thank you for checking up on "us."

Expert:  knstrand replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome. I know it's hard, but stay strong