Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

There is a feral mama cat I have fed over 1 year and she just

There is a feral mama cat I have fed over 1 year and she just had her 2nd litter 7 days ago I noticed her stomach is hanging low like a balloon with water in it up today she came to eat in the morning and 5hours later but today she is coming every hour if the litter has died will she keep going back to the nest? I'm also concerned about her belly.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

Thank you so much for taking care of this girl.

Is she still eating?

Have you seen any of the kittens since they were born, do you know where she is keeping them and when was the last time you saw them?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

she is still eating I haven't seen the kittens I know where the nest is at in my neibors bushes

Thank you for the additional information.

If the kittens have passed then no she would not continue to go to the nesting area they instinctively know and will just move on. It is possible that here stomach is so large due to milk production if the kittens are not eating, have past or if she has just abandoned them.

Other reasons for a large abdomen are
* Intestinal parasites
* FIP which is a disease caused y the mutated coronavirus. While possible these cats are normally noticeable ill.
* Infection in the teats such as mastitis
* If you have no actually seen the kittens of course it is always possible she has not had them yet and this is why the stomach looks suddenly so large
* Infection in the uterus from a kitten that did not pass or has died in the uterus ( this again normally makes them very ill

I would suggest trying to go look for the kittens. It is possible if she is coming to you every hour she is trying to ask for help. While not often some animals will alert us to a problem by continually coming up to us.

If you find that the kittens are ok and she is just not feeding them then someone will need to take them in or a animal shelter will need to be notified.

As long as she is still eating then I am not to concerned that she is ill as sick cats will not eat. I would just try to locate the kittens and keep an eye on her for now.

I wish I could tell you exactly what was going on but without seeing her and the kittens all I can do is give possibilities.

I hope this helps and you find the kittens alive and healthy.
Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.