Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

I have a ragamuffin type male that is 3 and a half and weighs

I have a ragamuffin type male that is 3 and a half and weighs around 20 pounds. He was always big even in his litter he was much bigger than his siblings. Anyway I know they say this breed can get large 25 pounds. It's just that he is so aggressive at feeding time. He even jumps on the kitchen table and tries to swipe food off our plates. I try not to let him eat too much - it seems he would keep eating forever if we left enough food out. Other than this he is an amazing and extremely docile cat. It's when he wants food he turns into a bull. Is this normal ?
Hello, and welcome back to Just Answer!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you and Wolfie.

I have just a few questions before I send you my answer:

Is Wolfie fed on a schedule, or does he have free feed of dry food? If on a schedule, at what times is he fed?

What kind of food is he fed? Canned, dry or both? What brand(s)?

If you have started giving him small portions, how many times a day do you feed him?

Is everything els normal--is he drinking, eliminating and playing as usual? Any vomiting?
Do you notice if he is drinking more water recently?

Thanks for all your additional details.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Schedule? LOL... I'm on his schedule. Whenever I go near the kitchen he starts the antics. Jumping on the counter, meowing, giving me the eye (you know the look). I feed him wellness turkey in the can - but really this cat will eat anything if you let him. But I would say he gets 3 ounces usually 4 times a day.

Everything is normal. I have a water dish out but he doesn't drink since I switched him off dry food after he had a urinary block 6 months ago. He is peeing like a cup at a time now. I do usually add some water to the pâté.
Hi again, Gene and thanks for your helpful reply. Also, thanks for you patience, as I had a lot to say, as you can see. : )

Wow! Mr. Wolfie sure does have you on his schedule! lol He IS quite a large cat and even though he's comparatively young, due to his weight, seemingly constant hunger and urinating a lot at one time, he should be checked for diabetes, hyperthyroidism and have a routine blood test, to see if all his levels are within normal limits.

Larger cats really do require more food/calories to get through the day. Unless he is diagnosed with an underlying medical condition, it sounds as if he may truly be hungry or is just bored. Does he get enough exercise? He's young and he should be active during his non-sleeping horus.

I'm glad you're adding water to his wet food, since he had a urinary blockage 6 months ago. The more water, the better to flush out his system. You were right to change him to wet food only, also. My cat also had a urethral obstruction and also ate the Wellness CORE turkey in a can. You might be able to add kibble back to his diet, after discussing it with his vet, as long as it is grain-free and high quality, like Wellness or Wellness CORE. Other grain free high quality brands are EVO (which has a good urinary pH), Blue Buffalo and Felidae, but there are many others you could try. The urinary pH is not listed on the product, so you would have to call the company to find out that information.

According to the Merck Vet Manual, a grown (lean) cat needs about 154 kcal/lb of weight per day. Look on the can of food for the calories or kcals. Because Wolfie is not a 'lean' cat--he's large, so he may require more kcals. Take a look here, for reference:

Discuss this with your vet before changing anything in his diet/amount.

Try splitting Wolfie's portions in half, so he gets 1.5 oz., 8 times a day, if you're home and able to do this. Also, get him some new interesting toys made by 'Fat Cat' and other companies that offer great enjoyment for cats. If he's allowed to have a few pieces of kibble a day, he would love a foraging toy. This toy dispenses it's own dry food 'pebbles' or treats and makes the cat work for his food. These are available in all pet supply stores. If he doesn't already have one, get a kitty condo or cat tree with different levels and shelves and 'hidey holes', great for sleeping, playing and scratching, since they're covered with carpet. Here is a group of toys he may like, and put a few toys in each group, then switch them out every few days, so he feels like he's getting 'new' toys; also play with interactive toys like a laser pointer and feather dancer/fishing pole toy (but don't leave this one alone with him, as pieces can be bitten off, so put it away where it's inaccessible to him and only bring it out when you can play WITH him):

Foraging toys

Cats are used to 'grazing' on dry food--eating a little here, a little there, and Wolfie doesn't have this luxury, so he appears to be hungry all the time. Feeding him less, more often, might help, and also distract him when he seems hungry, with toys, activities and exercise.

Remember to have him visit the vet and have a routine blood test, including a thyroid panel, to make sure all is well and/or to pinpoint any possible problems.

I hope all will be well with Wolfie and try to keep him off those counters! : )

If you need any additional information or clarification, simply 'Reply' back before rating and I will be happy to help with any follow up questions. Please do not rate negatively if you still need information. Just click "Reply" instead. Thank you!

If you found my answer helpful, a Positive Rating and Positive feedback on the survey, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Laughing

If you would like to request me to answer any new, future questions, please begin your post with "For Cher Only" and I will respond as soon as possible.

Warmest regards,

Hi again, Gene.

Thanks very much for the great rating!