Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

I have 4 cats. 2 I trapped as kittens one I was not able to

I have 4 cats. 2 I trapped as kittens one I was not able to socialize with humans well so essentially Sally, my cat is an indoor feral cat. She won't let my husband or I touch her but she is friendly with the other cats and will take snacks from us as long as we drop them on the floor.
We will be moving soon and I am having a delema. 1. How to catch this rather large cat not fat but a big cat. 2. Should I take the 3 cats with me and leave Sally with my hubby who loves all the cats (he will move in 8 months) and see if she will warm up to him without the other cats around??? It will be difficult with the other 3 cats to also catch Sally. Someone mentioned that once the 3 cats are gone my hubby can start putting her food in a carrier and continue to do it over time and at some point we will be able to close her in and take her to where I am with the other cats.???
HELP ME!!! I love my furry babies!!

Dr. Whitehead :

Hello there. My name isXXXXX am sorry for your dilemma. I think you should try to move all of them together so not just the one is left behind. That would be very stressful on her especially since she enjoys interacting with the other one. You can use a live trap which is just a big wire cage that when she enters it triggers the door behind her. you can ask your vet if they have one you can borrow or you can buy one at most major pet stores. You would just relocate the ones you can touch into a room so they don't go in the trap. Then put food in the trap and pick up all over food. She will eventually (may take a day or two) go in there and trigger the trap and you can then either gently dump her into a carrier or just move her in the trap. Its safe and does not harm her at all. Or you can ask your vet for a tranquilizer in pill form, hide it in a nice tasty treat and give it to her it will take a couple hours but then she should be dopey enough that you can place her in a carrier to transport her. If these options do not work then the second option is to leave her behind, hopefully since she will be alone the stress will be minimum and your husband can work daily on getting her to warm up to him. Just by spending time daily talking to her and giving her treats. Since the other cats are gone then he can focus on her at that time and hopefully eventually get her in the carrier or again he can do the live trap plan or the tranquilizer plan.

Dr. Whitehead :

I am just afraid that if you take the three other cats away it may make her revert to being even more scared and stressed so it would be ideal if you can move them all together. The other fear is moving the three and then bringing the 4th 8 months later. .. they may see her as an outsider again and you will have to reintroduce them all over

Dr. Whitehead :

So in review I would try either the tranquilizer or the live trap to catch her and relocate her with the other three cats at the same time. Then if that does not work relocate the other three cats and have your husband work on socializing Sally and getting her to be comfortable enough that he can get her to go in a carrier or worst case scenario end up having to do the live trap or tranquilizer in this case.

Dr. Whitehead :

I hope this helps and I know it is stressful but you are doing a great thing and they are all very lucky to have an owner who cares this much!

Dr. Whitehead :

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you Dr. Whitehead. I just wish I could click my heels and have these babies moved! I am sure I am feeling more traumatized than they will. It would make me sad if Sally was left behind so we will try our very best to keep them together. Thank you so much! Please let me know if you have any further thoughts on my anxieties on this move. Maybe tips on how to make the transport the least stressful for all the cats???
You are very welcome. I definitely understand. We have three cats and 3 dogs and went through a big move and WOW is it stressful just worrying about all the four legged kids! You are right a lot of the time it actually is harder on us then them. They kinda look at us like what are you worried about we are all good! ha To transport the cats least stressful for the cats during the move you can get a small container of a spray called Feliway. Its a pheromone derivative that calms them and relaxes them. your vet can order or most pet stores have it. you can spray it in the carrier and in the car and new home and it will just help take the edge off for them. That is the best way without giving them each a sedative which I wouldn't recommend just because I try to limit using drugs unless its absolutely necessary. So definitely try the Feliway! It should really help them internally with the stress.
Hi Sally,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sally. How is everything going?

Dr. Whitehead