Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

My cat is having difficulty with very loose stools. We feed

My cat is having difficulty with very loose stools. We feed them a very high protein diet of Blue Wilderness (40%) as well as a teaspoon of soft food in the evenings. We have D/c'd the soft food but continue to have the same problem with runny stools. Any suggestions? We have tried changing their food, but they refuse to eat anything but Blue.

Hello, Edna and welcome!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

I'm sorry to hear that Harley is having a problem with loose stools. This can be caused by various factors including intestinal parasites, food allergies, intestinal bacterial or viral infection, ingestion of a non-food item, and more. Here is additional information:
Loose Stools

Even though Blue is a well-recommended food, it's possible Harley has developed an allergy to one or more of it's components. Sometimes, cats can even develop allergies to the protein source (meat) in their food and then would need a food with a limited ingredients diet (LID) containing alternative protein and carb sources. Two manufacturers that make such foods are Royal Canin and Natural Balance. However, before changing foods, the cause of the loose stools must be determined, so an in person vet visit would be a good next step, and bring a fresh fecal sample if you're able, to save time.

Actually, soft food is recommended as healthiest for cats, and you can read more about the best way to feed our cats in this article written by a veterinarian. It also takes into account various medical conditions:

For the moment, you can try the following: don't feed any food (but allow water) for 12-24 hours. After that, offer a bland diet for a few days, like plain boiled skinless chicken breast mixed with plain white rice (no seasonings at all), or get some jarred baby food chicken containing no onion products, garlic, seasonings of any kind, thickeners or preservatives. Beechnut Stage I chicken and chicken broth is a good one.

You can also add a nutritional supplement called Fortiflora to Harley's wet food. This is a probiotic, immune booster and contains extra taurine. It can be bought at the vet's office and/or ordered online. Fortiflora for Cats

You can add 1 tsp. of plain, unflavored yogurt with live cultures or Culturelle (which are also probiotics) to a small amount of canned food twice daily, and also add 1 tsp. of plain canned pumpkin (not pie filling) to the canned food. The natural fiber in this is beneficial but is not a 'quick fix'. It takes about 2 weeks for the fiber to start working. This can be used for both loose stools and constipation.

For now, it's important to identify the cause of the loose stools so try to have Harley evaluated in person by a vet and have a fecal sample analyzed.

Make sure he's drinking enough water to make up for the fluid he's losing in the watery stools. You can also add some clear, unflavored children's/infant's Pedialyte to his water (50/50) to help replenish electrolytes.

I hope all will be well with Harley!

If you need any additional information or clarification, simply 'Reply' back before rating and I will be happy to help with any follow up questions. Please do not rate negatively if you still need information. Just click "Reply" instead. Thank you!

If you found my answer helpful, a Positive Rating and Positive feedback on the survey, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Laughing

If you would like to request me to answer any new, future questions, please begin your post with "For Cher Only" and I will respond as soon as possible.

Warmest regards,

Hi Edna,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Harley. How is everything going?