Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

I understand the use of sulfasalazine is not advisable in cats

I understand the use of sulfasalazine is not advisable in cats with renal disfunction, but if it is used, and there are side effects, can they be treated? Or are they considered irreversible? My cat has a huge tumour around upper gastro-intestinal area and I happened to watch a TV programme (in Japan) about sulfasalazine can inactivate cancer stem cells at least in mice and humans. As the tumour is too large, there is not much we can do at the moment and I'm desperate to find an effective treatment...
I have already asked a question related to this med but forgotten to ask the expert if these side effects are irreversible. If so, I'll give up this idea.
Thank you very much for you attention.

Atsuko

Dr. J. :

Hi, I am very very sorry to hear about your kitty. I absolutely would not use Sulfasalazine. Even in healthy cats it has to be used very judiciously due to the salicylate content. However, I would recommend talking with your veterinarian about pain control if you have not already done that and also about immune support. There are some safe immunosupportive agents that can be used in cats with cancer. One agent I use is Dimethylglycine. Vetriscience makes this product and it is known as DMG. Also would feed canned food since it is lower in carbs and carbs tend to feed cancers.I hope this helps you but if you have any questions,please don't hesitate to contact me. Sincerely, Dr.J

Customer:

Dr. J,

Customer:

Dr. J, thank you so much for your reply. I am now convinced and will not try on this med. But will definitely seatch for Dimethyglycine, and discuss with our vet. Thank you very much for your information. Also as I give her cooked food (calories and percentages of phosphorus etc. are all calculated), I will make it carb-free. Or buy low-carb tinned food. Thank you again.

Dr. J. :

You are more than welcome. You don't have to go carb free just lower carb. I wish you the best of luck with your kitty. Immune support can really help these patients along with pain control so much! Best to you, Dr. J

Customer:

Oh, if I can ask you one more thing...as there is not much option, our vet goes for alternative medicine. We are considering clay therapy for detoxification. Do you think it is safe? I am a little concerned as it may contain minerals which would not do good to kidneys.

Dr. J. :

Unfortunately, I do not have knowledge about clay therapy, but you are correct to be concerned about her kidneys. Kitty kidneys are very fragile. I would do alot of research before embarking on that. Best To you, Dr. J

Customer:

Thank you very much. I will try to find more information before trying it.

I will be thinking of you and your kitty! Trying to send positive thoughts your way! Sincerely, DrJ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dr. J
Thank you very, very much for your kind thoughts, you haven't even seen us and are so far away. I cried seeing your message.
We will try our best to prolong our time together.
With a lot of thanks

Atsuko
Take good Care! Dr. J
Take good care. Sincerely, Dr. J