Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

For Cher, or anyone else if Cher unavailable... Hi. I have

For Cher, or anyone else if Cher unavailable...

Hi. I have a question again about my 7-month old, male, indoor cat Middy...

Over the last three days or so Middy at times lifts his left paw while sitting on his haunches, and just sort of leaves it there dangling. I've never seen him do this before, He doesn't appear injured at all, and walks (and runs) normally on it. I touched and pressed around the paw and it doesn't seem to be sensitive for him or that he is in pain there. Middy has had some stress over these last few days and is much jumpier than usual, swiping at me even when I pet him when otherwise he wouldn't. I read somewhere that this "paw lift" might be an overstressed type response. Also he could have something caught in his cuticle or paw but I don't see that or that his paw is at all in pain. What do you think?

Hi again, Marc!

Welcome back to Just Answer and thanks for requesting me to answer your question about Middy.

I'm sorry his paw seems to be bothering him.

It's very possible that there is a miniscule splinter or piece of foreign debris that is either stuck in his pad, or between his toes, that's difficult to see. He also may have an infection at the base of one of his nails that's not visible. Is Middy declawed? If so, during times of stress, his paw may give him a little pain and that's why he lifts it.

If he is still running around and playing, that's good, but it's possible that he may have sprained/strained his paw or his foreleg. He probably would be showing more symptoms of pain if this were the case, though, but cats are masters of disguise when it comes to pain.

For now, it would be a good idea to have him seen in person by the vet if this behavior is still going on in a few days, just to make sure there is nothing stuck in his paw or between toes/under skin, etc., and that he doesn't have a minor sprain.

I hope all will be well with Middy!

If you need any additional information or clarification, simply 'Reply' back before rating and I will be happy to help with any follow up questions. Please do not rate negatively if you still need information. Just click "Reply" instead. Thank you!

If you found my answer helpful, a Positive Rating and Positive feedback on the survey, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Laughing

If you would like to request me to answer any new, future questions, please begin your post with "For Cher Only" and I will respond as soon as possible.

Warmest regards,

Hi again, Marc.

Thanks very much for your excellent rating; it is truly appreciated!

I hope Middy will be fine!

Best wishes,
Hi Marc,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Middy. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Turns out the paw wasn't sprained; a couple of his paw pads were red and swollen. The vet gave him an anti-inflammatory shot and said that if it still was a problem to come back in a week. Nothing too serious. The paws were causing Middy too much pain for the vet to take a closer look at what the exact problem was. All in all it looks like he's going to be okay. Thank you.

Hi again, Marc and thanks so much for your update on Middy.

The anti-inflammatory should help the situation and I hope Middy is feeling much more comfortable, very soon!

Send him get-well purrrrs for me!

Best regards,