Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My cat is missing and I fear has been bitten by a paralysis

My cat is missing and I fear has been bitten by a paralysis tick as one was found on her about 14 days ago and removed. She was fine after that but has now been missing for 4 nights - 5 days. Can cats survive bites from these ticks
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

If there was a tick that bit her causing tick paralysis, then no she would not survive. These cause an ascending paralysis where it starts with hind limb weakness then moves to the front legs and then to the head/ neck. Eventually it will paralyze the diaphragm and muscles used to breath and they die from respiratory paralysis.

Hopefully that is not the case and she eventually returns home. If she does come home and you notice any weakness/ paralysis, you can remove any ticks on her. If it's tick paralysis, then removal of the tick is curative within hours of removing it.

I hope you find her, let me know if you have any other questions.

Hi Andrew,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lati. How is everything going?