Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

our older cat has lost all his weight, his bones show, and

our older cat has lost all his weight, his bones show, and has lost most of his hair. He has been ok, just frail. We just found him outside laying on the ground and all of his limbs are completely limp and he is panting rapidly. I don't think we was hit by a car as there are no marks. Is he just dying?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Candy R. replied 10 months ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX X have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am so sorry this has happened. I just have a few questions

How long was he outside and what is the temp?

Can you take a rectal temp?

What color are his gums?

Are his back paws cold?

Has he been seen by a vet recently?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

It's warm outside, he was in this morning and ate

His gums are whitish-pink

Back paws are not warm or cold

last vet appt was last year for shots

Thank you .

This is very concerning and I have to recommend getting him in the emergency hospital immediately.
Cats do not pant unless they are under extreme stress, seriously over heated or having trouble breathing.
The white gums indicate either blood loss ( internal bleeding) or shock.
Just because there are no external injuries we can not rule out hit by car as we see this often in the ER where there are no external injuries but extensive internal injuries.Organ shut down and problems with the heart are also possible.

The extreme weight loss could be due to hyperthyroidism, diabetes or kidney disease all of which are common in senior cats.

I know no one wants to hear go to the vet but at this point he is suffering and we need to find out what is going on and if he can be helped. If the prognoses is poor then you may have to opt to let him go but he could sit and suffer for hours or days before passing on his own.

I would try to get him in to your local animal ER now. If you do not know where a emergency clinic is in your area please provide your zip code and I will be happy to help.
Please reply back if you have additional questions or concern and I will be happy to continue.
Candy
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

He moves his front end and his tail. Is it possible he's had a stroke?

If he is able to move the front end and not the back then I would be more suspicious of what is called a saddle thrombus which is wen a blood clot in the heart breaks off and travels to the back legs.

This is extremely painful and many cats will hyperventilate ( pant)
Click here for more on this

He really needs immediate medical care as I mentioned above right now it sounds like he is suffering.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Is there a humane way to put him to sleep at home?

I wish there was and this is a question we get very often. Unfortunately even trying to overdose on medication does not normally cause painless death but instead it causes vomiting, seizures, drop in blood pressure etc.
The only humane way to do this is to let a vet use an injectable medication.
Again I wish I could tell you there was a way to do this at home but I have personally seen far to many owners bring there pets in after trying this at home and they are devastated that in the end they caused their pet more suffering.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience: Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer