Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

I accidentally put my cats ProZinc in a kitchen cabinet with

I accidentally put my cat's ProZinc in a kitchen cabinet with his other meds instead of the refrigerator for approximately 12 to 14 hours. The insulin is still cloudy as it should be. Do I need to get a new vial or can I use it. The house temperature is 76 degrees. Thanks.

Dr. Andy :

Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

Dr. Andy :

Sorry to hear about this concern.

Dr. Andy :

Insulin is very sensitive to these types of changes. Even if you shake the bottle too hard, it can cause problems for the insulin molecules.

Dr. Andy :

I do vote for getting a new bottle. In the absence of nothing available yet, I would use it, because to not give any could result in problems as well, but definitely, try to get a new bottle today.

Dr. Andy :

If it were just a few hours, that would be one thing, but 12-14 on a bottle that has been in previous use is quite awhile. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Dr. Andy :

May I be of any further assistance?

No. I suspected that I would need a new vial. Thank you for your assistance.