Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have loved and owned cats for over 45 years.
60411192

My 12 year old cat has a bleeding/oozing sore on roof of mouth.

My 12 year old cat has a bleeding/oozing sore on roof of mouth. I have 500mg cipro originally given to dog by vet. It is Sunday and vet is closed. How much to give 14 lb cat?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

HiShelly, I'm Dr. Deb. I will do my best to assist you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Modono.

The dosage of Cipro for a cat would be 5-15 mg/kg twice a day. In other words, for a 14 lb cat, the dosage range would be 30-100 mg twice a day.
This translates into about 1/16 to 1/8th of a 500 mg pill which obviously isn't very much.
Side effects might be gastrointestinal in nature: vomiting, diarrhea or inappetance as would be seen with most antibiotics. I would give it with food to avoid stomach upset as much as possible.

I should point out that it would be illegal for me to advise you to give Modono a drug which had been prescribed for your dog but I can provide you the dosing information as I have done.

I hope this helps and I wish Modono best wishes with his problem. Deb

Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I have loved and owned cats for over 45 years.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Shelly:

I just wanted to thank you for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.
I also wanted to wish you the best with your boy.

Kindly ignore the request for additional information. Regards, Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hi Shelly,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Modono. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb