Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

Hi, my cat is 10.5 years, male, indoors - has been healthy

Hi, my cat is 10.5 years, male, indoors - has been healthy thru-out his life. He is overweight - weighs about 17 pounds, but is also a big cat--huge paws, solid bones. No weight loss or gain - he has maintained this weight for about 6-7 years.

Over the last week or so, he is sleeping more, and a bit more needy (will snuggle with me more often late at night--like 4 times out of the past week and a half - this is unusual cause he will only do this about once a month or less). He also is sniffing his food, eating a bite, looking at it, then walking away. Right after this, he will turn to the dry food, eat a bite and then walk away.

He usually eats up his portion of food and is fine (we have three cats - all 9-10 years, and they get along great). The cats get wet food twice a day - 1 small can or two pouches divided among the three on separate plates, placed well apart so they can eat in peace. They have access to grain free dry food and fresh water all day. they do not pig out on the dry food - only one of the cats is overweight-the one I am writing about.

The wet food pouches are organic, grain free cat-food - one is weruva, the other one they like is wellness turkey & salmon morsels or chicken and something morsels. I also add water to this wet food for more gravy which they love. I also feed them small cans of paul newman's cat food - organic and food ingredients as opposed to fillers. For years they ate wellness turkey and salmon canned-- but I noticed that wellness cans started to use turkey and/or salmon meal in their foods, which I do not want to feed my cats.

But the one cat now sleeps a lot, plays little and eats just a bite then walks away. He doesn't appear to be in pain - he purrs when we pet him and brush him. He is drinking water, urinating without issue, using the litterbox without issue. His gums are mauve, so it is hard to see if they are pale. His tongue is very nice and pink though. His coat is shiny and not matted. he doesn't smell. So what could be wrong?
Hello, Thank you for requesting me to help you with Steely.

I just have a few questions so I can better assist you.

Have you noticed any increase in his drinking and or urinating?

Wen was he last seen by a vet for senior blood work?

Can you see any tarter build up on his teeth?

Is there anyway you can take a rectal temp?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No increase in drinking or urination, has not been seen by a vet for some time (years), no big tartar build-up on his teeth, his mouth, breath smell fine-like cat breath, not rotten smell. No thermometer for a temp.

Thank you for the additional information.

Not eating can be due to several things, unfortunately it does not indicate exactly what. When a cat slows its food intake or stops eating all together that is very concerning. Cats in general will not stop eating unless sick or in pain. When they do not eat the body burns fat for energy and a cats liver is not designed to process this fat and a condition called hepatic lipidosis can develop this can lead to full liver failure if we can not get them to eat.

In a senior cat the most common reasons for them to stop eating are
* Kidney disease
* Pancreatitis
* Dental disease
* Cancer

As long as he is drinking and urinating I think it would be safe to try to nurse him through until your vet opens on Monday.
When they do not eat acid can build in the stomach making them unwilling to eat . Pepcid AC 1/4 of a 10mg tablet every 12 hours will sometimes help. Give this on an empty stomach wait 30 minutes and offer either tuna or chicken baby food ( no onions or garlic in the ingredients.
You can also pick up a product called CatSure at your local pet store which is a balanced liquid diet.

If he is not eating normally by Monday I would have your vet take a look at him and get some blood work done.

I will be on all day tomorrow, please check in with me and let me know how he is doing. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you - I have zantac 150mg's in the house--can I give him a portion of that pill? (and it would be smaller and easier to get into him)

You are very welcome The Zantac dose is 0.5 mgs per pound of body weight so breaking down a 150 mg tablet would be very difficult. I would be much easier to get the 10mg Pepcid ( you can get generic) and give 1/4 of that
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I found a 75 mg zantac--can I use part of that?

You can give a little less then 1/4
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ummm, how do I get it into him?

Just hold his head back open his mouth and drop it on the back of the throat or you could try putting a little butter on it and see if he will just take it for you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you!