CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Veterinarian
Experience:  I'm a veterinarian specializing in cats and have owned cats for 35 years. I love all things feline!
74496554

I just grabbed the wrong bottle of medication for my cat.

I just grabbed the wrong bottle of medication for my cat. I gave him .5 mg of klonipin instead of his methamazole. He's 16 lbs and 15 yrs old and in excellent health except for the hyperthyroidism. Will I have to get him to the vet? What I've been reading is that it's sometimes given to cats and dogs so I'm feeling a bit better. But I'm still really worried.

CalCatDoc :

Hi! I'm CalCatDoc and I can help with your question.

CalCatDoc :

I will need to check htis one, give me a moment.

CalCatDoc :

1. Clonazepam – Clonazepam (Klonopin®) is used as an anticonvulsant and anti-anxiety medication. It is sometimes also prescribed as a sleep-aid. When animals ingest clonazepam they can become sleep and wobbly. Too much clonazepam can lower the blood pressure, leading to weakness or collapse.

CalCatDoc :

That's from the AVMA - let me look some more to see if I can find safe dose info

CalCatDoc :

How much does your cat weigh?

Customer:

16 lbs

CalCatDoc :

ok let me do some math

CalCatDoc :

7.3 kg

CalCatDoc :

Three times that dose can be used therapeutically in the cat up to twice a day, so he should be safe.

CalCatDoc :

0.1-0.2 mg/kg once or twice a day for certain behavioral issues

CalCatDoc :

You may notice some sedation. If he gets groggy enough for you to get worried, or if it interferes with his drinking enough water in this heat I would be concerned, but not otherwise.

CalCatDoc :

I occasionally use a similar medication in one of my two cats at home.

Customer:

thanks so much. It's cool here so I don't think he'll need to drink that much.

CalCatDoc :

Ok, just keep an eye on him since he's an oldster, and don't let him have any more, lol