Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

I need to speak to a cat vet with some experience in skin rashes/possible

I need to speak to a cat vet with some experience in skin rashes/possible psoriasis.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Whitehead :

Hello there. My name isXXXXX and I am sorry to hear about Simon. The description you are giving sounds exactly like a disorder called "feline head and neck pruritis". This is not a commonly diagnosed disease but is definitely controllable. It is not curable but is treatable.

Customer:

Are you able to take uploaded pictures? I got several tonite. It is under his belly and paws too.

Dr. Whitehead :

yes use the "paperclip" in your chat window to upload pics

Dr. Whitehead :

This disorder is usually caused by an allergy to one or more things that he is exposed to in the environment. This is where it gets tricky because it can be multiple things. It can be things that he is exposed to in his food such as wheat, corn, chicken beef. . . etc and then things in his environment such as pollen, dust, mold, flies, and even human dander. That is why it can be so hard to diagnose and treat

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

The next one will be the underside of his belly and the last one, one of his front paws but both have it.

Dr. Whitehead :

Ok

Dr. Whitehead :

Although I can not diagnose him just off of pictures, what you are sending looks exactly what i have described, feline head and neck pruritis. Simon is following the textbooks exactly!

Customer:

What is the treatment for that?

Customer:

I feel so sorry for this poor little guy. He suffered almost 3 yrs with the IBD and now another chronic disease. Hopefully it's easy to treat or I fear I may just have to put him down. I hate to do it, he seems content but has been howling a lot which I'm sure it's because he's so miserable. I don't know how he's even walking on his front feet.

Customer:

What do you think of my dabbing serum?

Dr. Whitehead :

Fortunately there is a medication called Atopica (cyclopsporine) that has been pretty darn successful for treating this. This medication will modulate (calm down) his immune system. Because this disease is caused by his immune system being super sensitive to whatever is causing this allergy. Since he has previously been diagnosed with IBD it does not surprise me he has this. My experience has been that cats with IBD will have feline head and neck pruritis more so than those without. If that makes sense.

Customer:

I brought him out here to see if maybe he had allergies to the old house she lives in. She's had them since moving in and never did before so all kinds of possibilites run through my head, mold for instance.

Dr. Whitehead :

I feel that your dabbing serum will only treat topically and in his case he needs a systemic treatment like i describe with Atopica

Customer:

Yes it does make sense. Is this a topical medicine or oral? I forgot to mention I paid to put him on allergy shots a year ago but can't garauntee she's been giving them to him. I would guess not on a regular basis. Wish I could tell you she was still a teenager but she's 25! so frustrated with her right now that she doesn't involve me until it's so severe.

Dr. Whitehead :

Unfortunately in cats like him he can basically be allergic to everything. I would change him to a grain free diet made with a protein source such as salmon, venison or duck though. And talk to your vet about Atopica. This medication comes in a liquid you just place on his food (so easy to give)

Customer:

sorry, had to vent a little :)

Dr. Whitehead :

Its ok I understand!

Dr. Whitehead :

This medication is given daily initially until a response is seen then you taper the dose down to 1 or 2 times weekly ideally

Dr. Whitehead :

http://cat.atopica.com/

Dr. Whitehead :

That website will give you a ton of info on this medication.

Customer:

Great, actually he's on Earthbound grainfree and has done real well. I also got probiotic to sprinkle on so his IBD has gotten under control. I will call the Vet first thing tomorrow and see if they'll prescribe it since he was just there. Great, on your last msg and got the website.

Dr. Whitehead :

Perfect glad to hear about the diet he is on! I think you are going to see a world of difference with this medication. unfortunately this isn't an over night fix so give him a month or two!

Customer:

Will do. You have give me immeasurable relief tonite. I really feared cancer. I certainly will sleep easier and I thank you.

Dr. Whitehead :

You are very welcome. I understand your concern. This is one of the most frustrating diseases I treat but it is controllable!

Customer:

If we can get it under control and nothing else comes up and he can have a few more good years I'll be happy. I never expected him to live real long because his issues started pretty early. We actually have two Birmans (and 2 St Bernards!) The other guy has had a few hot spot issues but nothing like Simon. I guess we're done here. And I thank you again so much. I will look for you and let you know how it's going.

Dr. Whitehead :

I look forward to your update! Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you! Pleaese do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. Just come back to this link of our conversation and we can continue to converse

Customer:

Thank you Dr. I will certainly leave positive feedback.

Dr. Whitehead :

Thank you very much

Dr. Whitehead, Veterinarian
Experience: Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.