Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

My 13 year old female cat has in the past month stated peeing

My 13 year old female cat has in the past month stated peeing on my bed on a daily basis even right in front of me. Vet ruled out any medical issues, so left with behavioral. I have the Feliway diffusers but nothing seems to work. How can I extinguish this urination on my bed?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Candy R. replied 10 months ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX X have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear you are having some inappropriate urination problems with Abigal. I just have a few questions so I can better assist you.

How long has this been going on?

Just to be sure did your vet do blood work as well as the urinalysis?

How long have you been using the Feliway?

Have you changed litter types or made any changes to the litter box or location?

Is she an only kitty?

Any recent changes in the household no matter how small?

What are you using to clean the bed after she goes?

Is the bed the only place she is urinating?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Just started recently, the past month or so. Full CBC was done, nothing abnormal. She has 2 brothers, but have been getting along. No changes in litter. I have learned to line my bed with puppy pads. When I do clean I use a bleach/disinfectant spay, but have just ordered Nature's Miracle to help with that. What would you recommend to use?

She is only urinating in my bed, but rarely will still use the litter box.

I cannot think of any change aside from the fact that I am back to work. I had a concussion and was out for 3 months and went straight back to work in August, p/t.

Also, she is on .5 methamosal 2x/day for the last 11 years and always eats it when wrapped in a pill pocket.. I think that covers all of your questions let me know if more info is needed. Thanks!

Just one more question when was her thyroid tested last?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Within last 6 mos and since then she has had a full CBC.

Thank you very much for the additional information. Please allow me just a few minutes to type up your answer
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank you very much.

I asked about the thyroid because you mention that she has been on medication for the last 11 years and it is very odd to see a cat develop thyroid problems at 2 years of age.

I would also give your vet a call and make sure more then a CBC was done. A CBC does not tell use anything about the organ function and we would really want to get a full chem to make sure the kidneys, liver and glucose levels are all with in normal limits as these are the top three medical causes for this type of behavior.

That said I suspect this is related to you going back to work. This is not at all uncommon when there is even the slightest change in a cats routine. Cats in general do not do well with change.

The Feliway is a great product but she may need a few other things to help reduce stress and anxiety.

I would try to get a pheromone collar so that she is exposed to the pheromones on a consistent bases rather then just when she is in the room with the plug ins.
Feliway has these however we have been using the NutureCalm collar. Click here

* Composure treats are also helpful to reduce anxiety Click here

* Some experts will recommend Rescue Remedy but honestly we see little effect with this in cats Click here

If she is a cat that likes to play I would consider getting some interactive toys that can play with without you and or ones on times she can use when you are not home
I am going to give you a list of toys that we have found work great for these cats.
A laser pointer works great for this . They even have hands free lasers for cats as well
Click here for a hands free laser
Other toys that work well are the panic mouse and or a remote controlled mouse.
Click here for the panic mouse .

Click the links below for other toys that will get her moving
Link 1
Link 2
Link 3
Link 4
Link 5

Timer controlled.
Link 1
Link 2

It is also possible that this could be related to Feline Cognitive dysfunction. This is similar to dementia in humans and can cause loss of training habits and cats may urinate and or defecate out of the box. There are medication that can help with this
Click here

The natures Miracle is great. If you find it is not working I would try a product called Urineoff.

As a last resort prescription medication may be needed to help modify this behavior. One of the most common drugs we use is Amitriptyline. Click here

I hope this helps give you some other options to try to stop this behavior. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
Candy
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience: Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank you very much.I One last question, why is it only on my bed?

It could be due to the fact that she is angry with you for going back to work again not uncommon. Also once they start going in an area unless a enzyme based cleaner is used to completely remove all smell they often continue using that place. I would also try closing her out of the room for a few weeks until you can see if you can get this under control. If not possible then try placing one of the interactive toys on the bed so this becomes a play area and she will be less likely to void her bladder in that area.

Play is going to be just as important as everything else in helping to reduce her anxiety
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Gotcha. Unfortunately I have yet to find a toy the keeps her attention. I will check out all the sites you recommended. I just got new litter boxes, 4 in total as I have 3 cats and will put them in a private place and keep her out of my room at night and see what happens. Thank you very much for your time and expertise it is most appreciated. Keeping my fingers crossed, b/c I cannot sleep in a bed lined with puppy pads forever and the laundry is crazy!

You are very welcome. Check out the interactive toys some of them are really great for cats that do not normally like to play. Please keep me posted I will stick with you until we get this worked out.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank you so very much and have a good evening.

You to. I know how frustrating this can be. I am currently taking classes to become a certified feline behaviorist because I see so many cats given up because of this specific problem.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I would never give a cat up for anything. I have a one eyed tabby Mr. Leonard who recently was diagnosed as diabetic and Nuttella who is missing his left front leg. I never adopt the ones w/ no problems as they will more easily find a forever home. The seniors and disabled ones are what I prefer.

That is so awesome. I wish there were more people like you out there. I have a house full of disabled and medical needs pets myself. They are very lucky to have you
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Candy,

I wanted to say thank you for your time and assistance for my senior cat Her Majesty Abigail. All ready it has improved. I dare to even say it but it is true, she is much better. I had the Feliway plug in for her, which I MENTIONED SO I don not think it would take action that soon. I ordered the collar and just received it today, so she is now wearing that. Oddly, enough, you mentioned it as a potential cause, liter box. Did the trick. Put one in a very secluded part of my room 3 days ago and no peeing anymore on the bed. Question, is it okay to leave the collar on? I am thinking it is okay but want to make sure. You are a God send and I cannot begin to thank you for waking up to pee free bed sheets and an Abigail that goes in the litter box now:))

Yay I am so glad to hear things are going better that is beyond awesome news.

Yes it is perfectly fine to leave the collar on and I would for at least a few weeks until we are sure she is not having any more trouble.

Thank you so much for the update and please give her a good head scratch from me.