Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.
It is very possible that what you are seeing with the skin is a reaction to the litter especially since this is occurring in the areas that come into contact the most with the litter.While pet owners think both the wheat and corn litter are much safer then the clay litter we are seeing a host of problems not seen with clay based litter.Corn or wheat and moisture do not mix: When these two mix a deadly aflatoxin mold can result. Aflatoxin is a type of mycotoxin which are produced by fungi or molds. Not only can this cause serious reactions with the skin but also complicated upper respiratory and liver problems.This litter can grow dangerous mold during processing, storage at the warehouse and then again in the litter box itself. These companies claim this litter is safe unless exposed to warmth and moisture. That is a concern since when used in a litter box it is obviously exposed to both warmth and moisture.I would suggest changing to a paper based litter while you are trying to get these area to heal. Yesterdays news is one recommended by many veterinarians. If he does ok with this litter then it is something you can use all of the time if you prefer to not use the clay based litters.While I can not be sure, since this started after the litter change I suspect it is related to either mold/toxins in the litter or a reaction to the wheat itself.I would keep the area clean and use the medication as directed. If the medication is not making a difference then you may want to discuss using Manuka Honey which is a medicinal honey that works great at healing open wounds and preventing infection. This can be applied twice daily then a loose wrap applied to keep it on the skin.I hope this helps and he starts getting better soon.Please reply back if you have additional questions and or concerns and I will be happy to continue.Candy