Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

I have a male cat, he is around 11 months old, black and white,

I have a male cat, he is around 11 months old, black and white, short hair. He is not neutered but is up to date with vaccinations.
About 2 weeks ago he started spraying and acting a bit weird (sleeping more then usual and not eating that much) then about a week ago he started acting normal again but I noticed he lost some fur on his tail and was inflammed around it (he was licking it), at first I thought it was nothing and then I noticed a couple days ago that his groan what swollen ish, him licking it, then I also noticed the craziest thing, ill try and Explain this the best i can. His right leg ( where the foot and leg connect) looked like a chunk of skin fell off and the fur around it and his bone is sticking out very badly. It is swollen, and pink
I am not 100% sure what caused it. I live in a apartment so he is an indoor cat.
My place got sprayed for coacheroahs a month ago in the kitchen and washrooms cupboards (nothing in reach to him)
I've been feeding him the same food forever so it couldn't be that
I feed him a dry kibble (life stages peformatrin, feline Health system) kitten nutrition (I am switching him to adult soon)
And a wet food b.f.f. (Best feline friend, grain free)
Oh and I also recently switched his kitty litter brand to a better quality one called swheat scoop, natural clumping litter, clay free, chemical free biodegradable.
I brought him to the vet the other day and they said that they have never seen anything like it. They gave him two injections of antibiotics with some type of regrow to in it to help the skin regrow and a cream for me to apply every 12 hours called surokn and he is also wearing a cone. They said if things get worse come back ASAP and see a specialist and if not come back on wends to see if things have gotten better.
They honestly don't even know what it is. Or what could have caused it and neither do i. Can you please explain to me better and if I missed anything please ask because I just wanna help me kitty .. Thanks!
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am so sorry to hear that Chuck is having some trouble. I just have a few questions so I can better assist you.

How long ago did you change the litter?

Did these skin problems start after the litter change?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I changed the litter about 1 month and a half ago and yes it started happening about a week or two after the litter change
Thank you . Please give me just a few minutes to type up your answer
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay great thanks!

It is very possible that what you are seeing with the skin is a reaction to the litter especially since this is occurring in the areas that come into contact the most with the litter.

While pet owners think both the wheat and corn litter are much safer then the clay litter we are seeing a host of problems not seen with clay based litter.

Corn or wheat and moisture do not mix: When these two mix a deadly aflatoxin mold can result. Aflatoxin is a type of mycotoxin which are produced by fungi or molds. Not only can this cause serious reactions with the skin but also complicated upper respiratory and liver problems.
This litter can grow dangerous mold during processing, storage at the warehouse and then again in the litter box itself.

These companies claim this litter is safe unless exposed to warmth and moisture. That is a concern since when used in a litter box it is obviously exposed to both warmth and moisture.

I would suggest changing to a paper based litter while you are trying to get these area to heal. Yesterdays news is one recommended by many veterinarians. If he does ok with this litter then it is something you can use all of the time if you prefer to not use the clay based litters.

While I can not be sure, since this started after the litter change I suspect it is related to either mold/toxins in the litter or a reaction to the wheat itself.

I would keep the area clean and use the medication as directed. If the medication is not making a difference then you may want to discuss using Manuka Honey which is a medicinal honey that works great at healing open wounds and preventing infection. This can be applied twice daily then a loose wrap applied to keep it on the skin.

I hope this helps and he starts getting better soon.
Please reply back if you have additional questions and or concerns and I will be happy to continue.

Hi Selma,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Chuck. How is everything going?

Candy R.