Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

I have a vet I could take my kitty to but I am on a limited

I have a vet I could take my kitty to but I am on a limited income and can pay the full price of the office visit plus and medical treatment that is done. My little girl is 7 years old this Sept 19. She is highly allergic to fleas, clay litter, milk, and wheat. She breaks out in itchy sores and scabs. I have eliminated the above allergens, but she has broken out again. I know she is dehydrated. She wants to drink water but doesn't. She is listless and avoids company which I understand. She is a long hair mixed so I wonder if the heat from this summer and these Indian summer days might be the problem. What I need to know really is how to get her to drink the water? Then I plan to bath her every other day with an oatmeal shampoo for dogs and cats. Thank you. Kathy and Boo Sophia.

Hi Kathy,'

Thanks so much for requesting me! It is my pleasure to help someone as wonderful as you!

I am so sorry Boo Sophia has had all this trouble.She is VERY lucky to have YOU!

It sounds like she has a bit of miliary dermatitis which IS an allergic reaction.

The oatmeal bath should really help. Cats can also take benedryl @ one mg per lb every 12 hours. or one quarter of a 4 mg chlortrimeton every 24 hours.

If she is not allergic to fish, drain the water from a can of tuna into a bowl and see if she will lick it up.

To check for dehydration, pull up skin from her neck and see if it springs back or tents and moves slowly.

Rub a drop of pancake syrup into her gums in case she is hypoglycemic.

some cats will drink from a pet fountain

Keep her in a cool room.

If she remains listless she must see a vet:

here are two Vets that offer a free first visit:

Right now, I am concerned about her lethargy so please let me know what happens.

If you have more questions just press reply and I will be here for you.

Warmest best wishes,