Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My four month old grey tabby cat is evidently bleeding. Just

My four month old grey tabby cat is evidently bleeding. Just a little. I found spots of red ublood on my computer case this morning. She is in great health and never leaves my apartment. I see no evidence of cuts on her paws (I was thinking that maybe she had a little paper cut from a box she was playing in, but I guess not). I looked at her butt and it seems to have some blood. Some web research indicates that cats dong't bleed when they are in heat. She is scheduled for spaying Next month. Advice? Both for her health and for my furniture (which I don't want blood stains on):-)
Category: Cat
Expert:  Candy R. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear Emi has you worried. I just have a few questions so I can better assist you.

Is the blood you are seeing on her on the rectal area or vaginal area?

Can you look in the litter box and see if you see any signs of blood?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi candy. Thank you. No signs of blood in the litter box. And honestly I'm not familiar with the difference between her anus and vagina. But here is a photo of a squirming cat bottom haha. Oh darn. I couldn't copy it in. The opening closer to her tail is slightly brown. The opening closer to her body looks more like a Vulva and is puffy and pink.
Expert:  Candy R. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information.No problem with not knowing exactly what is what it can be hard to tell on a young cat.

You are correct that it is not normal for a cat to bleed during a heat cycle. If the blood is around the area closer to the body that would be the vulva and if it is puffy this could indicate a vaginal infection. Blood coming from that area in a cat is most often due to infection be it in the vulva, uterus or bladder. Often with a urinary tract infection or inflammation in the bladder they will leave little droplets of blood.

If the blood is around the opening closest to the tail this would be the rectum and this could be due to intestinal parasites, constipation, problems with the anal gland and or problems such as IBD.

Bleeding from the rectum and or vagina can also be seen if they get into toxins such as rat poison. If she is an indoor only cat and there are no toxins she has access to then I would not worry about that.

What I would do is clean up the area where you saw blood and watch to see if you notice it again. If you find anymore drops of blood or see any blood in the litter box then I would suggest having her seen by a vet to find out exactly where this is coming from and why. I wish I could tell you exactly what it is but without a hands on examine that is just not possible. I can tell you that blood from the rectum and or vulva in a cat is not normal.

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
Candy
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience: Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer