Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cat wants to eat, will drink water and -which he is normally

My cat wants to eat, will drink water and -which he is normally not offered-a little milk. If a tiny piece of chicken is taken he chews it then may swallow or drop part of the piece. He has been diagnosed with an enlarged heart and has poor kidney function found from a blood test-for which he is being treated. He has also had a steroid injection. What surprises me is that he is just as active as normal but getting thinner - the eating seems the real problem.Puzzled and very concerned.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 11 months ago.

Hi, Lesley,

I am so sorry Blackman is not feeling well.

What and when did he eat last?

what is his usual food?

does he have pale gums?

Is he urinating and defecating normally?

After your reply, please give me a few minutes to type detailed answer.

Thanks,

Terri

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Had a pick this morning and a slightly larger pick last night. By that i mean 6-7 laps of milk-though swallowed little and 2 finger nail sized pieces of chicken. Up to the kidney diagnose he had a basic of Whiskas pouches with chicken 2-3 times a week as he has at some time I suspect been hand fed and very closely handled by someone who perhaps died and that is how he came to be dumped in the livery yard. Urinating and defecating normally albeit with little to defecate.Gums difficult to tell as they are black. Blood test showed only kidney problem . Since they diagnosing he has had special renal from Royal Chanin, chicken, salmon, sardines,scrambled egg and cottage cheese. Same resuilt-speaksd rushes over puts head down-usual purr and perhaps lick or picks a piece up -cut very small- and walks off. Very sad

Expert:  Terri replied 11 months ago.

Dear Lesley,

Thanks so much for your helpful reply.

Bless you for rescuing Blackman and saving his life!Innocent you are an angel!

Cats with renal issues often refuse to eat because they are dehydrated.

It is literally impossible for him to drink all the fluids his body needs

Blackman can benefit from subQ fluids which a vet can show you how to do at home. Once he gets the fluids he will eat!

In the meantime, try tuna water, drained from a can into a bowl. See if he will lick that up.

As far as food, offer tuna, salmon,chicken, sardines, clam juice, human baby food chicken or turkey (no onion or garlic in the jar)

I can give you several recipes that were formulated by Hills and
distributed to vets before Science diet was on the market. Royal canin makes a
very palatable renal food as well.

C/D or H/D recipe - feline (also known as Feline Restricted
Mineral and Sodium Diet):
1 lb regular ground beef, cooked
1/4 lb liver
(beef, chicken or pork only) cooked
1 cup cooked white rice without salt
1
teaspoon vegetable oil
1 t (5g) calcium carbonate (Tums)
1/8 teaspoon
potassium chloride (salt substitute)

Also add a balanced supplement which fulfills the feline minimum daily
requirements (MDR) for all vitamins and trace minerals, and 250 mg of taurine
per day. This would be available from a veterinary clinic.

Combine all ingredients and mix well. Keep covered in refrigerator. Yield:
1+3/4lbs

Feeding Guide - feed sufficient to maintain normal body weight

Body wt Approx Daily Feeding
5lb 1/5lb
7-8lb 1/4lb
10lb
1/3lb

_____________________________________________________________________________

K/D recipe - feline

(also known as Feline Restricted Protein Diet):

1/4 lb liver (beef, chicken or pork only)

2 cups cooked white rice without salt

2 large hard-cooked eggs

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1 t (5g) calcium carbonate (Tums)

1/8 teaspoon potassium chloride (salt substitute)

Also add a balanced supplement which fulfills the feline
minimum daily requirements (MDR) for all vitamins and trace minerals, and 250 mg
of taurine per day. This would be available from a veterinary clinic.

Dice and braise the meat, retaining fat. Combine all
ingredients and mix well. This mixture is somewhat dry and its palatability can
be improved by adding a little water (not milk). Keep covered in refrigerator.
Yield: 1+1/4lbs

Feeding Guide - feed sufficient to maintain normal body
weight

Body wt Approx Daily Feeding

5lb 1/4lb

7-8lb 1/3lb

10lb 2/5lb

Cats with only 25% of kidney function can do fine via SubQ fluids which can
even be administered at home:

http://www.felinecrf.com/managh.htm

Here is info on CRF and FUS

http://cats.about.com/cs/healthissues/p/CRF.htm

http://www.hdw-inc.com/healthfus.htm

Please let me know how he is doing.I will always be here for
you.I hope all will be well.

Best wishes,

Terri

Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience: Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
Expert:  Terri replied 11 months ago.
Hi Lesley,

How is Blackman doing?
I am just following up to see if he is eating.

Terri