Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

Hi there , my cat its almost paralize on his back legs, its

Hi there , my cat it's almost paralize on his back legs, it's his been 4 weeks , he still menage to go to the toilet on his own , but just about , it's an indoor cat , I had blood test done , all seemed good , they did x ray , found some of his spine fuse near his neck , but he had this since he was born .. , they gave him a cortison injection, then untinflamatory , then a course of cortison .. Still slowly going down :( .. They think could be a disck , is there any more medication I can try ?
Hello. My name isXXXXX will be happy to help you. Sorry to hear that Inko is not doing well. I would be very concerned about a herniated disk or vertebral instability as well. At 4 weeks out, if it hasn't gotten better, there is a good chance that it won't. Anti-inflammatory medication and strict rest are the mainstays of therapy. I would try gabapentin. It tends to help more with neurologic inflammation and pain. Tramadol may help as well. An MRI or CT scan would be the best tests for getting a diagnosis, but if they are not an option at this point, a myelogram may help. This is where they inject a contrast dye into the spinal column and take multiple x-rays to see if there is a defect. It does require anesthesia, and most vets do refer to a veterinary neurologist for the testing. As far as medications go, those are your best options. I would also talk to your vet about referral to someone who has the capability to do therapeutic laser therapy or even acupuncture. These alternative therapies may help out a lot. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you so much for the replay , for the cat it's extremely traumatic any trip to the vet , each time he gets more paralized , I really wouldn't wont to put him thru extra visit , to know there is not hope , I saw a surgeon who takes me that if it was even possible to operate he could be still worse after , it's to heart breaking , so my question is .. What gabapentin would do to him ? Why that's never been suggested ? If that would do anything would I see an improvement quite fast ? And would those be lasting effect ? Thank you so much , I really need to take a very hard decision , and still holding on to a hope .. Thank you
You are very welcome. Gabapentin helps with pain from neurologic origin. It is not a medication that is used by a lot of vets yet. Its use has become more prevalent in the past 3-4 years. Its use has been more for arthritis, but some veterinary neurologists are recommending it for disk problems as well. Being that this has been going on for 4 weeks, I wouldn't expect a quick turnaround, if possible. It could be days to a couple weeks. With the length of duration at 4 weeks, prognosis for full return of function would be guarded at best anyway. If you can give the medication, then it is definitely worth a try. Hope this helps.