Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

Have a 5 month old female kitten who has been having

Customer Question

Have a 5 month old female kitten who has been having chronic diarrhea. Her fecals have come back negative for parasites. Put her on flagyll (.5 twice a day for a week and have tried albon also .5 twice a day for a week). Neither has helped her diarrhea. I am trying to give her Metamucil with her wet food so she has some fiber going into her. She also has had some nausea, but not too much. What else can I do to help her?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 11 months ago.

Dr. Whitehead :

Hello there. My name isXXXXX and I am very sorry to hear about Willa. You have definitely done a lot for her already. The next couple of things I would try is switching her to a prescription diet that contains salmon and potatoes. I recommend Hills D/D but there are others out there. Salmon is the protein source and potatoes are the carbohydrate source. This replaces the most commonly used beef or chicken and corn and wheat. These can cause food sensitivities. D/d is perfectly fine to feed to kittens. I would also give her at least a months worth of a probiotic. Which will help replenish the good bacteria in her intestines. I recommend Fortiflora which is a powder you sprikle on the food. It does a very good job. You can try the fortiflora first for a week to see if there is any improvement then switch food into the d/d if no improvement. You should definitely see improvement with this prescription diet and/or the probiotic

Dr. Whitehead :

I hope this helps. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. Kittens can often grow out of sensitivities and diarrhea like this. So don't lose hope. I have had good success with food changes and probiotics. Please do not forget to rate my response so i receive credit for my time. Thank you

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Do I continue metamucil with probiotic? FYI, we feed grain free foods so she was eating a good food there, but I also tried feeding her normal Friskies and there was no difference. Should I also continue the flagyll? One of my fears is giardia, which doesn't always turn up in fecals.

Yes definitely continue the metamucil and definitely continue the flagyll. Flagyll treats giardia so if that is present it will be treated. If the grain free food still uses chicken or beef as the protein source it can still cause a sensitivity to the diet so just watch out for that.
Dr. Whitehead, Veterinarian
Experience: Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
Hi Kathryn,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Willa. How is everything going?

Dr. Whitehead
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

We're continuing with a combo of flagyll, metamucil & Benebac probiotic (it's what I have on hand from prior vet visits). So far, we haven't seen any major changes in her diarrhea...the flagyll also seems to occassionally make her nauseous even though I don't give it to her around food time...I don't want to keep the flagyll up for more than 2 weeks. I was warned by a vet that prolonged use of it could have neurological repercussions? Willa was also spayed today. I don't know if that will have any bearing on whether her poop gets better or not, but we will see since this was the first week she was on a combo of all 3. I'm willing to give it a month (at least on metamucil & probiotic) and see what happens, and then we will move on to special food...Willa was moved to an adoptive home today that is well aware of the situation since they fostered her in the past, and they are going to keep up on the treatment and keep me posted to her progress.

Yes prolonged use of flagyll can have bad side effects neurologically so you have to take them off for a week or two every once in a while. Sounds like a good plan
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

So Willa seemed to be improving and now is worsening....she has started having slightly bloody mucousy diarrhea and has been defecating out of the litterbox. I tried looking for the Hill's d/d but the feline varieties are not salmon and potato, and the d/d says it's for sensitive skin? Is that the food I'm looking to help her with diarrhea?

yes that is the food you are looking for, i forgot to tell you that it says sensitive skin but we use it for intestinal disorders too. So don't let that fool you. If you can't find the salmon then go ahead and use either the duck or the venison. That is definitely worth a try! I hope that helps!