Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

Hi ! My male cat is 13 years old and suddenly pooped 3 small

Hi ! My male cat is 13 years old and suddenly pooped 3 small hard balls then he did a soft poop then he collapsed into the bed and cant move his back legs or tail. If I touch his lower belly he cries. I am in Mexico so no vet works during the weekends and they are not taking my calls. If its a urinary tract blockage should I stop giving him water? he is not pooping or peeing, he is calm and playing (on his back) but as long as I don't touch his belly he is just laying on the bed. Please help !
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 11 months ago.
Hello, and welcome!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

I'm sorry to hear that Kenneth is experiencing this problem.

When was the last time you saw him pee?

Check his back paw pads and see if they are colder than his front paw pads and bluish or purplish if they're normal color is pink.

Also, check the color of his gums to see if they are pink or paler, like whitish.

Thanks for all your additional detail.
Cher
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi Cher !

Thanks for the quick reply.The truth is that my mom is in Mexico and Im in Miami on my computer so Im translating for her at the same time that Im writing to you cause we love our cats :)

My mom does not know exactly when was the last time but for sure 24 hours that he has not poop or pee. His front and back paws are cold more than our other cats according to my mom. She also checked his gums and they seem to be a little more whitish than our other cats.

Thanks again !

Rosario

Expert:  Cher replied 11 months ago.
Hi again, Rosario and thanks for your helpful reply.

I understand your situation, with your mom being in Mexico and you needing to translate for her.

If Kenneth hasn't peed for the past 24 hours, it is very possible that he has a urinary blockage and unfortunately, this cannot be treated at home. If he's not acting distressed, that's good, but if his lower belly is hurting when your mom tries to press on it, his bladder may be full and this is causing discomfort. If he has a bunch of crystals (small, sand-like particles that form in urine which is not acidic enough) plugging the end of his urethra, the vet needs to insert a catheter to get through the blockage and help him empty his bladder. Here is more information: Urethral Obstruction

You mentioned in your original question that he had just pooped some hard stool and it was after that, that he seemed to collapse and lose function in his hind legs.

There is a cardiac condition called cardiomyopathy which can cause a blood clot to form in the main artery carrying blood to the hind legs, and this results in what is called a 'saddle thrombus' and causes paralysis and pain for the cat. If no blood is reaching the hind legs, the pads are usually cold to the touch and they might look bluish or purple. If Kenneth were in pain from this condition, I don't think he would be on his back playing calmly. Here is more information: cardiomyopathy

If his gums are not light pink, but sort of white, this is not good and may indicate internal bleeding. Tell your mom to try her best to find any vet who many have emergency hours on the weekend. Look in the local phone book.

Unfortunately, neither of these condition can be treated at home, so a vet's treatment as soon as possible is necessary.

I hope all will be well with Kenneth!

If you need any additional information or clarification, simply 'Reply' back without rating and I will be happy to help with any follow up questions. Please do not rate negatively if you still need information. Just click "Reply". Thank you!

If you found my answer helpful, a Positive Rating and Positive feedback on the survey, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Laughing

If you would like to request me to answer any new, future questions, please begin your post with "For Cher Only" and I will respond as soon as possible.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thanks Cher ! Ok my mom will take Kenneth to the vet 1st thing in the morning. Meanwhile for tonight she would like to know if she should give him food or water (or encourage him) he is calm and plays with her on his back still but we don't want him to get worse during the night. I love Kenneth so much that is why Im really worried :S .. His tail does not move and she checked and nobody pulled it or broke it. Here is a picture :) Thanks again !

Kenneth

Expert:  Cher replied 11 months ago.
Hi again, Rosario and your most welcome.

If he seems interested in eating and drinking, your mom can offer him food and water. I understand why you asked about the water, earlier--you're very smart and know about cats and blockages!--typically a cat who is blocked will feel like drinking but will not drink, so don't force him to drink, but offer him little bits of water at a time, if he'll drink from his bowl, or offer some from your finger (your mom's finger! : )) Of course he will need to be on his belly to eat, not on his back, so he doesn't choke.

Thank you for including his picture. He is the cutest! He doesn't look like he's 13!

I hope all goes well overnight, continue to monitor him and just get him to the vet asap when they first open!

Warmest regards,

Cher

Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience: Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
Expert:  Cher replied 11 months ago.
Hi again, Rosario and thank you very much for your positive rating; it is truly appreciated!

I just wanted to add one more thing. You mentioned his tail doesn't move, and this might indicate an injury to the tail, which as you know, is an extension of the spine (base of the tail), or he might have incurred a back injury to a vertebrae, causing the discomfort you mentioned in his lower belly and also not being able to move his hind legs. If this happened right after he got the hard stool out, he may have caused an injury.

Warmest regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi Cher ! Just wanted to say that my mom took Kenneth to the vet and it was in fact a tail pull. My mom now remembered pulling him from the tail 3 days before he stopped walking.. He got some cortisone a week ago but he still can't walk. He is in a happy mood but is so sad he can't walk

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
.. in Mexico vets are not very capable and do not have all the equipment specially in smaller cities we are just waiting maybe with time he will be able to stand up and walk.. Thanks for your help !

Expert:  Cher replied 11 months ago.
Hi again, Rosario and thanks so much for your update on Kenneth.

I'm sorry to hear he had a tail pull; hopefully it will heal on it's own and he will be able to stand up and walk. In the meantime, you and your mom are doing the best you can to help him.

I hope all will be well!

Warmest wishes,
Cher