Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

My boyfriend was holding our 8 month old indoor-only cat when

My boyfriend was holding our 8 month old indoor-only cat when the cat jumped out of his arms and fell to the ground. The cat then got up and "screamed" and hid in the bathroom. Now he has been holding his back right leg up. He tries to put some pressure on it, but mostly hops on 3 legs. He has been eating well and using the litter box fine. This happened Friday morning. We were going to wait till Monday to see if things got better. If not, we will bring our cat to a vet. Is that okay? The back right leg isn't too swollen (it might be a little swollen at the "ankle" but it's hard to tell. When we try and palpitate the leg our cat doesn't like it, but also doesn't make any noise. Do you think this is a sprain/soft tissue wound or something worse like a fracture?

Hi there,

Thank you for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am happy to be able to help you today. Before I put an answer together for you, I am going to need a little more info:

- Has there been any improvement in Milo's lameness since Friday?
- Does he stand on the leg at rest? Does he sometimes place this leg down when walking around? Can he jump up on to the couch etc?

Once you get back to me, I will start typing up my response. Thanks for this and I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Dr E
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I think there has been improvement since Friday. On friday he was really lethargic and spent most of his time in one place. Now he is more active and will follow me around, hobbling on his three other legs. He tries to stand on his back foot and will put some weight on it. He sometimes tries to put weight on it when he's walking around. He also is able to jump onto the couch.

Thank you for the quick response.
Hi there Dayna,

Thanks for your quick reply. It is a bit of a worry that he doesn't really want to put much weight on the leg when he is walking around, but it is good to hear he can jump up on to the couch still.

There are a few things that could have happened here from a sprain or strain, to a soft tissue injury, to a fracture as you say. I would personally be worried about a fracture given the history of him falling and these symptoms, and so it really is quite important that you follow up on this with your Vet. If your regular Vet is open on Sundays at all, I really would encourage you to get him checked over tomorrow rather than waiting until Monday. If this indeed a fracture, it is better that it is dealt with asap rather than waiting any longer.

If you think you have seen a slight improvement in your boy, and if he is still eating and drinking as per normal, then you could leave this for Monday morning if your Vet isn't open tomorrow. If you do wait until Monday, then do make sure you try and keep your boy as confined as possible until then.

I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Best of luck with Milo and please let me know how you get on when you do finally see your local Vet.

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards

Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.