Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

I have three cats and one of them I feel has a urinary infection.

I have three cats and one of them I feel has a urinary infection. I keep finding blood drops on the floor. I have examined all them , but can not find any blood,. they are all females. what can I do without taking them all to the vet? Is there a medication I can give to them all without any adverse reactions?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 10 months ago.
Hi there,

Thank you for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am happy to be able to help you today. Before I put an answer together for you, I am going to need a little more info:

- How long has this been going on for?
- Are all three cats fine in every other way? Still eating and drinking as per normal?
- What diet are they currently on?

Once you get back to me, I will start typing up my response. Thanks for this and I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Dr E
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

1 to 2 weeks

the calico had an infection below her eye, which we have been treating with hydrogen peroxide and triple ointment, to clear the infection. for now it is clear , as we check it every 2 days, and give treatment to the cut. the other cats are fine.

their diet is iams, and canned cat food on week ends.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 10 months ago.
Hi again,

Thanks for that extra info regarding your girls. This could indeed be any of your three cats and there could be a number of potential causes for the blood in the urine. If all three cats are less than 10, then this is very unlikely to be a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are thankfully very rare in cats, in fact only around 0.9% of all urinary issues in cats are due to infection. It is much more likely that one of the cats has an inflammed bladder - we call this cystitis. This can often occur in cats due to a number of reasons, but typically secondary to stress and with not bacterial cause.

The general treatment for this is to increase water intake and decrease stress, although oftentimes an anti inflammatory is needed. Sometimes urinary crystals and stones will be to blame for this which will need to be treated if this is the case. Because you are not sure which cat has the symptoms, then you could putting ALL of the cats on to a wet diet (the canned one you are using perhaps) for the next couple of weeks. This will help to increase their water intake. I would also recommend increasing the number of water bowls around the house to encourage their water intake, as well as perhaps purchasing a water fountain for the cats as well.

To help decrease any potential stress in the house, purchase a feliway plugin. This feline pheromone is perfect - especially if there has been some tension between the three cats. You can see an example of this online here: http://www.1800petmeds.com/Comfort+Zone+For+Cats-prod10776.html

There isn't a lot else you can do from home for these three, but if you manage to pinpoint the cat with this problem, I would definitely recommend a full physical exam and urine check of this kitty with your local Vet.

I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Best of luck with these three and let me know how you get on in the next week or two if you get a chance.

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards

Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian - BVSc