Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

hi my male cat gavin has blood around his bottom he has a small

hi my male cat gavin has blood around his bottom he has a small fleshy type lump sticking out of it i have just noticed an has had runny poos for about 3 days now is there anything i can do for him or does he need to see a vet ? many thanks sarah
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

It sounds like you're seeing some inflammation of his anus and colitis (inflammation of the colon) that is leading to the bloody discharge. This may be due to an infection or it could very well be stress induced.

If you want to try something at home to normalize the colon motility, you can give him some extra fiber in his diet. To do this, you can give 1 teaspoon of canned pumpkin or sweet potato baby food 2-3 times daily.

I would make sure he is urinating normally. If he's straining in the box with no production, then I would start to worry about a urinary blockage. This is very serious and can be life threatening. If it's the stool, then it's less serious.

If the extra fiber helps, you should notice a slow improvement over 2-3 days. If worsening, then get to a vet for some more aggressive care.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

he doesnt use a litter tray anymore he normally goes outside but the past few days hes been pooing during the night when ive got up in the morning ive found it but i havnt found any wee so ive no idea about that side of things ?

I would just make sure that the fleshy thing you're seeing is not actually the penis just under the anus. If that's the case, then you should get to a vet.

If you're sure it's the anal area, then I'd be less worried.

If you're unsure, then I'd go to a vet to be on the safe side.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

its definatley not the penis hes not the first male cat ive had and hes eating and drinking fine and is fine in himself hes a lovely friendly loving cat ,ill keep an eye on him an try the baby food , would u suggest i also keep him on dry food while he still has the runs ?

Ok good, just wanted to make sure.

I would keep him on his regular dry food and then just add the extra fiber to help the colon.