Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

My 16 year old cat was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. The

My 16 year old cat was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. The methimazole makes him vomit each time given. I've been giving him a natural remedy for hyperthyroidism purchased online but his recent test show t4 still elevated. My cat is still eating , drinking and eliminating in his usual manner but now his stomach is rumbling loudly. What should be done next for my dear cat? Please advise.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Candy R. replied 10 months ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear that Dudley is having some trouble with vomiting and tummy rumbling. I just have a few questions so I can better assist you.

Is he on the Methmazole now or just the natural supplement?

What food is he eating?

Has your vet mentioned radioiodine therapy
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Just the natural supplement. Blue buffalo wet can food tender turkey and dry food Natural Instinct chicken flavor.

No, he hasn't.

Thank you for the additional information.

First I want to say I am sorry that the medication was making him sick. While not common this is something we see from time to time.

There are a few other options. There is now a food called y/d that is actually meant to manage hyperthyroidism in cats. It is the only food that does this and many cats when feed only this food will no longer require medication. I would ask your vet if this is something you can try. They have both canned and dry formulas. I use this with my own cat and it took about 5 weeks for us to be able to stop the thyroid meds Click here

Another option is radioiodine therapy Click here

Here is additional information on how and why the y/d works and more on the radioactive iodine Link
As for the tummy rumbling you could try Pepcid AC at a dose of 1/4 of a 10mg tablet every 12 hours. It is best to give this 30 minutes before eating.

I hope this helps give you some additional options to help not only with is tummy rumbling but also the elevated thyroid levels.

Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
Candy
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your feedback. Should I try the methimazole again. I forgot to mention that Dudley recently had elevated liver enzymes. I read Methimazole is contraindicated with liver problems?

Your response triggered my next question. Isn't hyperthyroidism caused by a tumor? How does the cat food work? Does it slow the tumor growth, stop it or just decrease the excreted thyroid hormone (t4) levels that are elevated due to the tumor growth?

Do you have to keep increasing the dosage as time progresses?

Yes in most cases the hyperthyroidism is caused by a benign tumor. The radioiodine treatment destroys the tumor . The y/d food has less then 10% of the average iodine levels in regular cat food and the decreased iodine prevents the thyroid gland from producing excess thyroxine.

No you do not have to increase the amount of food. As for restarting the methimazole if it makes him sick and he has elevated liver enzymes I would just try the food by itself and see what happens after a few weeks
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience: Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for the health care options for Dudley. I will try the recommended foof and monitor Dudley's response. His vet will be kept informed.