Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

Hello. I have a 5 month old intact male kitten. He has had

Hello. I have a 5 month old intact male kitten. He has had all of his vaccinations to date, and received his last deworming treatment yesterday. Apparently, he has been quiet and off his food since last night. It was a struggle to give him his last deworming med as well. Today he has been vomiting. Mostly clear liquid. He is very withdrawn but not listless. His resp rate is 60. He has been perfectly healthy to date, and has had a voracious appetite. I am capable of hydrating him subcutaneously with Lactated Ringers if need be. I don't know if I should give him time or take him to the vet tonight. I am an RN, and can assess him if guided to do so. There is no tremor, and he walks well. I offered him tuna water and he wouldn't touch it. Any ideas?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Candy R. replied 10 months ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX X have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

What medication did you give for deworming?
Just to clarify was he off his food before the meds?

What color are his gums? Are the gums moist or tacky to the touch?

Has he urinated and defecated today?

Can you take a rectal temp?

Any chance he got into anything he should not have including human meds, plants, etc?

When did he eat last?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

He went off his food after the medication. I don't know what it was but he has had it before and didn't have a problem. His gums are pink and moist. I don't think he has used the box but I'm not certain. He got about 20 cc of water using a syringe po. It stayed in him about 40 min then he vomited again once. He last ate 24 hrs ago. I don't think there was anything toxic he could have ingested. He is tachycardic but I'm not sure what the range for heart rates is for his age

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

His heart rate is 180

Thank you.

It is really not uncommon to see some digestive upset including vomiting after deworming even if he did not have a problem last time. Of course there are other things such as ingesting something he should not have, diet changes, pancreatitis etc that can also cause vomiting.

That heart rate is ok normal heart rate for a kitten can range anywhere from 180-260 with stress and or pain causing additional elevation.

The gums are moist so he is not dehydrated enough to require SQ fluids so I would not recommend that at this point.

I would suggest NPO for the next 12 hours so we can let the stomach rest. If you have Pepcid AC this can be given at a dose of 1/4 of a 10mg tablet to help settle the stomach.
In the morning I would offer some bland food such as boiled chicken or fish, scrambled egg, cottage cheese, yogurt or chicken baby food ( no inion or garlic in the ingredients.

I would take a rectal temp normal is 100.5-102.5 anything over 103.5 or below 100 and he should be seen tonight.
Male cats are also prone to urinary obstruction due to urinary crystals and or bladder sludge so I would make sure he is able to urinate. Palpate the lower abdomen if you feel a hard ball ( bladder) or he seems painful then this could indicated he is obstructed and this to would require he be seen tonight. Constipation can also cause vomiting. Kitten also tend to eat things like small toys string etc which can result in a gastrointestinal obstruction.

As long as the bladder is not full, his gums are pink and his temp is normal then I think it would be fine to try the Pepcid and see how he is in the morning.

If he goes more then 48 hours without food he needs to be seen regardless of how he is acting since not eating can result in hepatic lipidosis in cats.

I hope this helps and he feels better soon. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
Candy

Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience: Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer