Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

We have 3 indoor/outdoor cats - all are up to date on vaccinations.

We have 3 indoor/outdoor cats - all are up to date on vaccinations. In the last few days all three had quick coughs followed by sneezing fits. All three are acting, eating and drinking normal. Nothing in our house our yard has changed. I have seen a respiratory before with the youngest one when he was a kitten and it included runny nose and eyes, this is not so right now, just sneezing and occasional hacking coughs. I figured all three getting the same allergy that they never had before was slim, so possible "kitty cold" I have not seen before? My worry is could their be a neighbor who has sprayed something on their yard as it seems to happen when they come in from the outside most. I am not thinking TruGreen or anything else as many neighbors use that and they seem to steer clear, moreover I am worried that someone is trying to keep them away and may have tried something to achieve this. Thoughts?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Candy R. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Thank you for requesting me to assist you today.

I just have a few questions so I can better assist you.

Have you noticed any discharge from the nose and or eyes?

Are they all eating and drinking normally?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No discharge and eating normal, drinking might be a little less as we have two fountains for them and they normally favor one over the other but I can see the favored one is not needing filling as often.

Expert:  Candy R. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

It is possible this is due to something someone has sprayed in the yard, however coughing and sneezing can also be due to viral infections such as the herpes virus, Viral infections are very contagious so I would not be surprised to see this in all of them.

As long as they are continuing to eat and not having any other problems there are some things you can try at home to help.

I would suggest starting a L lysine supplement . You can get this at any health food store or pet shop. 500mgs per day for 7 days then 250 mgs per day .
You can also get this in treat form and one treat contains the daily recommended amount.'
Click here for these treats

Another possibles could be allergies or a foreign object in the nose
You can try over the counter Chlor-Trimeton at a dose of 2-4 mgs once per day if you feel this could be allergies.
Click here for more on this

To help relieve nasal irritation you can use saline nose drops. We recommend Little Noses for infants. 2-3 drops in each side of the nose twice daily.

If they develop any green or yellow discharge from the nose or eyes, stop eating or seem to decline in any way they should be seen by a vet.

I hope this helps and they get better soon. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue
Candy

Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience: Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much! I will let you know how this all goes! And crossing my fingers they will all be back to happy sneezless kitties soon!

Expert:  Candy R. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. Give them all a good head scratch from me and I will be here if you need me