Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

My cat seems to have twitching on just one side of her face

My cat seems to have twitching on just one side of her face or whiskers. Should I be concerned about it?

I noticed this once last week and then again today.  Ever so slightly her whiskers are quivering on one side of her face.

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear Sadie is having some facial twitching that has you worried. I just have a few questions so I can better assist you.

When was she last seen by a vet?

Have you noticed any other problems such as increased drinking and or urination, change in appetite, weight loss etc?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Candy, Ms. Sadie sees her vet about every 6 months. She does have diabetes (for about 4 years), but her weight has not changed for a while and she seems to be O.K., in every other way. Thank you again for any advise or thoughts you may have about her whisker "shivers", as thou she is cold - but just on one side. Not very noticeable unless you are looking at her in the right angle. Lil

I am sorry for the delay I was offline when you replied back.

There are several possible causes for facial twitching the most common being
* In some cats tis is completely normal and nothing to worry about
* Dental pain can cause twitching in the side of the face the pain is located
* Low Potassium ( common in older cats as a result of declined kidney function
* seizure activity( focal seizures)If you can test the glucoses levels at home when you see this happening that may be a good idea just to see if it correlates with glucose levels

As long as Sadie is eating well, this is not happening everyday and she is otherwise acting normal I would just wait until your next appointment and mention this to your vet. He may want to do full blood work and a dental exam.

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue