Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

Hello, I have a 9 year old cat that did a coughing sound several

Hello, I have a 9 year old cat that did a coughing sound several times as if she needed to vomit. She stopped for awhile but she just started again but didn't vomit although she seemed to be going through the motions. Her nose is wet and cold and she appears to be okay otherwise however after her last bout, when she tries to meow, it seems as though she has laryngitis for lack of a better word.

Should I be concerned and take her to an emergency clinic or do you think I can wait till tomorrow.

Thank you.

Hi Dom, and welcome back to Just Answer!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you and Callie.

I'm sorry she's experiencing these coughing-like spells. There are various possibilities for her symptoms. She may have swollen tonsils, an irritated throat from ingesting something she shouldn't have (cats love to play with and ingest stringy type substances, so watch for that), or she could have a cough due to respiratory congestion. Also, in older cats, hyperthyroidism is more prevalent and an enlarged thyroid can press on the airway and cause coughing. Heartworm disease can also cause this symptom. Here is more information:

Heartworm Disease

As long as Callie does not seem to be in any distress, is not having difficulty breathing, her gums are a normal light pink color, she's eating, drinking and eliminating, is responsive and not extremely lethargic, you can most likely wait until tomorrow morning to bring her to her regular vet for evaluation and treatment, if needed.

If she does show any symptoms of distress tonight, then, yes, bring her to an ER vet center or any vet who offers emergency hours.

I hope all will be well with Callie!

If you need any additional information or clarification, simply 'Reply' back without rating and I will be happy to help with any follow up questions. Please do not rate negatively if you still need information. Just click "Reply" instead. Thank you!

If you found my answer helpful, a Positive Rating and Positive feedback on the survey, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Laughing

If you would like to request me to answer any new, future questions, please begin your post with "For Cher Only" and I will respond as soon as possible.

Warmest regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

HI Cher,

Thank you so very much for your quick response. I'm wondering if she would react this way if she swallowed an elastic band? Would the symptoms be the same? I'm not sure if that is the case but she seems to love them if she finds them.

She was tested for thyroid and it was normal. That said, she eats less then my other cat (that is 15 years old and she still runs around and jumps like she was 2). Callie is quite overweight in comparison and I'm very careful with what I feed her etc. She appears to have a smaller head, skinny legs and looks like a big cute ball in the middle. Many tell me it's her breed being a callico. Just want to keep her as long as I can :)

Thank you so very much again for your quick response.

Hi again, Dom and you're most welcome!

It's my pleasure to be of help to you and Callie!

She does sound like quite the butterball! : ) I'm glad her thyroid was normal, when she was tested, and also be on the lookout for diabetes, which older, overweight cats are more prone to develop. I'm glad you're watching her diet and a canned or dry food grain free diet would be best for her. Some good ones are Wellness, Wellness CORE, Felidae, Blue Buffalo, and many more available at your pet supply store. This article written by a veterinarian should be of interest to you; it deals with how best to feed our cats and also includes certain medical conditions:

If Callie likes to play with/eat elastic bands, that is very dangerous. My part-calico used to love to do that, too! You need to make sure you keep all items of that type inaccessible to her. It may possibly be causing her present symptom.

Also, her voice is hoarse because she's coughing and irritating her throat.

Monitor her tonight and hopefully all will be well, but if you notice any of the symptoms I mentioned earlier or any other unusual ones, definitely bring her to the ER vet center.

Warmest regards,
Hi again, Dom.

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going with Callie.

How is her coughing? Did you have her seen by the vet? If so, what did s/he tell you?

I hope you found the information and suggestions in my answer helpful; if so, please let me know by saying so, here. Thanks! : )

I appreciate the opportunity to be of help to you and Callie and thank you for entrusting your question to me and Just Answer!

Warmest regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Cher, I apologize for not responding sooner. She appeared to recover the following day although the articles you forwarded to me were excellent and full of information that I think every cat owner should know.

Thank you ever so much for your help and concern. :) I really appreciate it.

You're most welcome, Dom and it's my pleasure to be of help to you and Callie.

I'm so happy to hear that she appeared to recover the following day and all is well, now! Make sure to keep her away from those elastic bands! Laughing

Since you found the information in my answer helpful, it would be greatly appreciated if you would please take a moment to provide a positive rating so I receive credit for my answer. Thank you very much!

Please don't hesitate to request me by name (begin your post with "For Cher Only") if/when you have any new, future questions.

Best regards,

Hi again, Dom.

Thank you very much for your excellent rating; it is truly appreciated!

Best regards,

PS: no additional information is needed; this is simply a 'thank you!' : )