CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Veterinarian
Experience:  I'm a veterinarian specializing in cats and have owned cats for 35 years. I love all things feline!
74496554

dealing with Sam in legal help with death of almost kitty after

dealing with Sam in legal help with death of almost kitty after grooming. But my husband has gotten me a new baby and one vaccine for kitties is fairly new. I older male fixed cat is HIV Positive. All others are neg. I was told a year or more ago that if I had the others vaccinated then they would always test positive afterwards. Just researching food to keep her healthy, and if the HIV vaccination would protect her.

CalCatDoc :

Hi! I'm CalCatDoc and I can help with your questions about FIV and the FIV vaccine.

CalCatDoc :

The FIV vaccine is newer and is somewhat controversial. It does not protect against all strains of the virus, and it DOES cause the cat to test positive for FIV.

CalCatDoc :

Because of these problems, and because there are other ways to guard against FIV, it is considered a non-core vaccine, meaning it is not automatically recommended by most vets. We look at the individual cats' situations to decide on it.

CalCatDoc :

I have personally never felt this vaccine was worthwhile. FIV is spread primarily by bite wounds from cat fights. Intact males are at greatly increased risk due to their tendency to get into fights.

Customer:

Can you tell me what type of situations it might be recommended. My 10 yr old male fixed has tested positive all others have not. I just want to try and protect my new baby and didn't know if any progress had been made with this vaccine.

CalCatDoc :

In general, feline housemates do not engage in the sort of serious fighting that results in the spread of FIV. The important thing to remember is that, unlike Feline Leukemia Virus, FIV is NOT spread by casual contact like normally occurs between feline housemates.

CalCatDoc :

I have had several clients over the years with one FIV cat in the home and others FIV negative, and none of them got their cats vaccinated against FIV and nobody else caught it.

Customer:

Yes I was told only by biting. Mine play rough but don't fight to injure. Thanks for your response.

CalCatDoc :

If you are really worried, it IS a safe vaccine. but remember that it may not even protect against the strain your infected cat has.

CalCatDoc :

If cats get along well, living together is very low risk.

Customer:

Yes nothing is 100%. Thank you and have a great day. I'm satisfied with your response.

CalCatDoc :

That's why we like them all neutered, and staying indoors so they are not attacked by stray tomcats is the big concern. I have never seen FIV spread within a household of neutered housecats.

CalCatDoc :

Good luck with the new baby!

Customer:

Only my one (Sneakers) hint the name he loves to sneak out between our legs.

Hi Carolyn,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Coco Chenile. How is everything going?

CalCatDoc