Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

My 3 year old cat was brought into the vet Saturday because

My 3 year old cat was brought into the vet Saturday because he was peeing outside of the litter box. They diagnosed him with a urinary tract infection and he was put on antibiotics and sent home. By Monday afternoon, we saw droplets of blood around the house and saw he had blood on his rear end. We brought him to the emergency vet immediately. They diagnosed him with a blockage in his urethra. He had a procedure to empty his bladder and clear the blockage. They will monitor him for the next few days. They just called to tell me that his billirubin level is elevated at 2.8 and they want to do a sonogram. Should I be worried? What could this be?

Thank you.

Hi Diana,

Thanks so much for requesting me!

I am sorry Harvey has been so ill.

Can you tell me some more information?
Is he still at the vets?
is he able to pass urine?
do you see any yellowing of his eyes or gums?

has he been eating normally?

what foods?

After your reply, please give me a few minutes to type detailed answer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He's still at the vet. They are monitoring him until Thursday because of the blockage issue. He still has a catheter in and has been passing urine that way.

They told me he was showing no symptoms of the elevated billirubin so I'm assuming that means no jaundice symptoms.

They told me that he did eat last night after the procedure, but very little. But I'm assuming that would be normal after coming out of anesthesia. I don't know what kind of food they're giving him.

Dear Diana,

Thanks so much for your helpful reply.

They are monitoring Harvey because a cat that blocked once can develop strictures (narrowing) from the catheter.

read about blockage here:

The most common cause of urinary tract disease is a dry food diet.

Read more here:

I suspect they want to do the ultrasound to check for stones.

Here is info on the different kinds.

Elevated bilrubin can indicate a liver issue or it could be caused by the blockage or even stress.They will be able to see the liver via the test.

Liver disease can be due to a cat not eating for a few days:

It is a very good sign that Harvey is not jaundiced. He may be put on a special renal diet if he has stones or urinary tract disease.

Most cats do quite well on this food.

I tried to cover everything you asked but if you still have questions just press reply and I will be here for you.

I hope Harvey feels better and can come home very soon.

Best wishes for him,'

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Elevated bilirubin can be caused by stress? I couldn't find anything online that said that. Harvey has definitely been stressed the last few days with him not feeling well.

Yes, you can read about stress induced elevated bilirubin here:'s_syndrome

Fortunately, Harvey is not jaundiced which could point to liver disease.

If you still have questions please do not hesitate to ask. I want you to be 100 satisfied with my help.

I hope the poor baby feels better very soon.

Hi Diana,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Harvey. How is everything going?