CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Veterinarian
Experience:  I'm a veterinarian specializing in cats and have owned cats for 35 years. I love all things feline!
74496554

Hi Terri, my 4 year old, spayed, female cat is throwing up

Hi Terri, my 4 year old, spayed, female cat is throwing up a yellow/greenish foam (bile?) and not eating, drinking or grooming. This has been going on for about 8-10 hours. She hides under the bed and has come out 2x to use the litter box and throw up. I will take her right to the vet in the morning but, am wondering if there is anything I can do for her now. Thanks, Pam

CalCatDoc :

Hi Pam! I'm CalCatDoc and I acn help with your questions about Maid Marion's vomiting.

CalCatDoc :

has she been in good health up until now?

CalCatDoc :

Younger cats are often very curious about their environment and like to pick up and eat things off the floor, chew on plants, catch and eat bugs.

CalCatDoc :

Hello?

Customer:

Hi, yes her health has been excellent up until now. She was fine yesterday and early this morning, too.

CalCatDoc :

Good.

CalCatDoc :

Is she a strictly indoor cat?

Customer:

No. She is both in and out of the house often. She does eat grass when her tummy is upset and I saw her eating some this morning. She does ahve all her shots, too.

CalCatDoc :

Good about the vaccinations.

CalCatDoc :

Has the vomiting been decreasing in frequency since it began?

Customer:

no. She has thrown up about 4x today about 1.5-2 hours apart. It happens after she comes out of the litter box. She pooped this morning and has peed 3x however this last time was almost nothing.

CalCatDoc :

Is she having any loose/soft stool?

Customer:

no just the one solid poop this morning

CalCatDoc :

That's good. Cats can vomit for many reasons, not all having to do with the digestive tract, but eating something disagreeable is the most common cause.

CalCatDoc :

How hot is it where you are, and do you have good air conditioning?

Customer:

it's humid today but only in the low 70s. I put the ac on a few hours ago. She generally likes the heat and prefers the outdoors when it's really warm She doesn't seem to have a fever and she still smells like her normal scent.

CalCatDoc :

That's not bad at all. I do worry about dehydration if it's really hot and they are vomiting.

CalCatDoc :

I think you are safe in observing overnight and then deciding tomorrow if you need to take her in.

CalCatDoc :

I would confine her strictly indoors for now and take her food away. Let her have access to water but do not force her to drink any.

CalCatDoc :

You can give her 1/4 of a 10 mg generic famotidine (plain pepcid with no other ingredients) orally to protect her esophagus from stomach acid/

Customer:

Thank you. I will take her in especially if she's still not eating and drinking and/or vomiting. I appreciate your help.

CalCatDoc :

Happy to help. I know things can get scary with a long holiday weekend and few vets open.

CalCatDoc :

Now you can rate, I had a box checked inadvertently

CalCatDoc :

If you have any more questions you can return her to ask, just bookmark this page.

Customer:

okay, thanks. you've been really helpful.

CalCatDoc :

*here