Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

Gave cat flea medication that was for all weights, she is about

Gave cat flea medication that was for all weights, she is about 7lbs., and she has been vomiting. Can I give her something to get the medication out of her system?
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

When did you apply the flea prevention?

What brand was it?

Other then vomiting is she having any other symptoms such as facial twitching, trouble walking etc?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I applied the medication 2 days ago. It is Pronyl OTC Max for cats. I haven't noticed other symptoms except for she is aggressively affectionate.

Thank you for the additional information.

It is possible that the vomiting is due to the flea prevention and if that is the case it should begin to resolve in the next 24 hours. I would suggest however washing the area you applied the prevention with Dawn dish soap or any dish soap to remove any residue and prevent further absorption.

Pepcid AC should help to calm the stomach. This is dosed at 1/4 of a 10mg tablet every 12 hours. Try to encourage drinking to help flush the system. To do this you can add some tuna water or chicken broth to her water and add a few spoonfuls of water to canned food.

If she is still vomiting tomorrow or declines in any way I would suggest having her seen by your vet.

I hope this helps and she feels better soon. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Miss Kitty. How is everything going?

Candy R.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Everything is much better, thank you!

Hello. I am happy to hear Miss Kitty is doing better. Thank you so much for the update and please give her a good head scratch from me.