Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

My cat keeps getting diarrhea on off. We have taken her to

My cat keeps getting diarrhea on off. We have taken her to the vet several times during her episodes. She has had complete blood work always coming back normal. She is 9 years old and an indoor cat with no other animals in the house. The vet has given her medicine and that has worked. She has been eating purina cat chow indoor formula and friskies wet food. She has been on the same food for the past eight years. I have tried researching what food is best and come up with mixed reviews. Should i change her food or add something to it? Should i change vets? Other than the diarrhea she is healthy, acting fine and eating and drinking. I want to do what is best for her but dont know what that is.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Debbie and welcome!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you and Jasmine.

I have just a few questions for you before I send your answer.

Throughout this time, has Jasmine had a fresh fecal sample analyzed?

Has she ever been given worming medicine?

What is the name of the medicine which seemed to work, that the vet gave her?

Thanks for all your additional detail, and please allow me a short while after you reply, to compose, type and send your answer. Thank you!

Best regards,
Cher

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

She has given fresh fecal samples always came back negative.

She has not been given worming medicine as far as i know. Only if it is part of the normal shots given.

The vet gave her Diamycin

Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, Debbie and thanks so much for your helpful reply.

The first thing to consider would be that intestinal parasites may be causing this problem. If she has never been wormed, it might be time for that, after a fresh fecal sample is analyzed by the vet (and yes, I would recommend changing vets). Even if no intestinal parasites were found in the fecal samples in the past, there are microscopic protozoan intestinal parasites, like giardia and coccidia, in addition to worms, which are more difficult to identify because the portion of the stool tested may not contain any of them and they can cause loose stools. Here is more information:
Intestinal Parasites and here is more info on Diarrhea in cats.

She could have developed a bacterial or viral intestinal infection and this is the cause of the loose stools. This can only be verified by the vet, after analyzing a fresh fecal sample again. It's also possible that she could have developed allergies to one or more ingredients in her food. Common allergens for cats, which are corn, wheat, gluten, soy, dairy products, artificial flavors, colors and preservatives are often included in the types of foods you're feeding now. It's healthiest to feed a grain-free diet and some well recommended brands of both wet food (considered most healthy) and dry food available in your pet supply store are: Wellness, Wellness CORE, Felidae, Blue Buffalo, and many others. Just read the labels and make sure real meat or fish is the first ingredient and it doesn't contain any of the aforementioned allergens. She also may be nibbling on any plants or flowers you may have in the house or on another toxic or non-food item which can cause stomach upset. This article, written by a Veterinarian, is very informative regarding how best to feed our cats: http://www.catinfo.org/

For the moment, you can mix 1 TBS of plain canned pumpkin (not pie filling) into a small amount of her canned food, daily (this is not an instant fix, but the natural fiber is beneficial and it usually takes about 2 weeks to see the effect); also mix 1 tsp. plain, unflavored yogurt or Culturelle (should be found in your supermarket near the yogurts) in with her canned food twice a day. Keep her on a bland diet of plain boiled chicken breast (skinless) without any seasonings mixed with plain boiled white rice, for the time being. You can also add a teaspoon of infant rice cereal to her canned food. She can also be given plain jarred baby food meat containing no onion products, garlic, or any seasonings at all, which is also bland, but only for short term use. Beechnut Stage 1 chicken and chicken broth is a good one.

You can get FortiFlora, a probiotic nutritional supplement from your vet or order online. This is recommended for diarrhea in cats, and is also an immune system booster and contains extra taurine. See information here: FortiFlora

Your next best step would be an in person vet visit with a different vet or even a veterinary gastroenterology specialist, and bring a fresh fecal sample with you, if possible, to save time. Once the cause of the diarrhea is diagnosed, Jasmine will be treated and feeling much better.

I hope all will be well with your furry girl!

If you need any additional information or clarification, simply 'Reply' back without rating and I will be happy to help with any follow up questions. Please do not rate negatively if you still need information. Just click "Reply". Thank you!

If you found my answer helpful, a Positive Rating and Positive feedback on the survey, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Laughing

If you would like to request me to answer any new, future questions, please begin your post with "For Cher Only" and I will respond as soon as possible.

Warmest regards,
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience: Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, Debbie.

I wanted to mention that it would be a good idea to encourage her to drink more or even add some water to her canned food, to make up for the fluid loss during the periods when she has the loose stools. In addition, you can add some plain, unflavored, clear infant's Pedialyte to her water bowl (50/50) to replenish electrolytes, as well.

Warmest regards,
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi Debbie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jasmine. How is everything going?

Cher