Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

We got a stray cat yesterday. Took her to the vet at 1 pm.

We got a stray cat yesterday. Took her to the vet at 1 pm. she was given a 3 yr rabies shot, earmite shot, de wormed her with Ivan, sent us home with flea meds comfortis. we were told to give with food. which we did about 2:30 pm. She was fine until 4pm today she threw up a hairball and her food. She has vomited 3 more time is a 3 hour period. Is lethargic looks very tired and doen't want to eat. She did drink water. Is she having a reaction to the meds? Do I need call the vet now or wait till morning?

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

Thank you so much for taking in this kitty. That is an awful like of different medications to introduce in to the system all at once. All of which can have a side effect of vomiting . The rabies vaccine can also cause some lethargy.

Of course it is always best to err on the side of caution and have them seen by a vet. I would suggest taking her temp to be sure this is normal. Normal is 100.5-102.5 anything over 103.5 or under 100 requires immediate attention. If the temp is normal and her gums are pink then it should be ok to wait until morning if you are unable to get her in tonight.

If you have Pepcid AC this may help to settle her stomach. This is dosed at 1/4 of a 10mg tablet every 12 hours.
If she is running a temp or continues to vomit then I would have her seen tonight otherwise keep her comfortable offer water only and have her seen first thing in the morning if she is not acting better by then.

I hope she does ok and again thank you for taking care of this girl. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue.

Hi Deneen,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Candy R.