Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

My cat has had diarrhea for a few weeks with a time where it

My cat has had diarrhea for a few weeks with a time where it was forming. Now it is a light brown color but still unformed and some liquid?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 10 months ago.

Hello, Marjorie and welcome!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX thanks very much for requesting me to answer your question about Sissy.

I'm sorry she's experiencing this problem with loose stools. I have a few questions to ask you first, if you wouldn't mind, so I can can a better picture of the situation.

What brands of food are you feeding Sissy (both dry and canned)?

Does she spend any time outside?

Is she currently on a monthly flea preventative?

When was the last time she was wormed?

Is there any blood in the stool and/or does it have a very foul smell?

Is she defecating in the litterbox as usual?

Thanks for all your additional detail. Please allow me a short while to compose, type and send you an answer, once you reply.

Best regards,
Cher

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

She eats Fancy Feast wet food and dry food plus other dry foods like Science Diet and Goodlife Recipe.

Inside cat.

Not on flea preventative at this time..in the past but none this year since inside.

Never been wormed. Vet every yr for check up.

There was blood in stool at first when very runny and very foul smelling but not seen or odor that I notice.

At first outside of box..then in but this morning outside again.

Expert:  Cher replied 10 months ago.
Hi again, Marjorie and thanks so much for your helpful reply.

Also, thanks for your patience, as I had a lot to say, as you can see! : )

The first thing to consider would be that intestinal parasites may be causing this problem. If she has never been wormed, it might be time for that, after a fresh fecal sample is analyzed by the vet. There are microscopic protozoan intestinal parasites, like giardia and coccidia, in addition to worms, which can cause this kind of loose stool. Here is more information:
Intestinal Parasites and here is more info on Diarrhea in cats.

She could have developed a bacterial or viral intestinal infection and this is the cause of the loose stools. This can only be verified by the vet, after analyzing a fecal sample. It's also possible that she could have developed allergies to one or more ingredients in her food. Common allergens for cats are corn, wheat, gluten, soy, dairy products, artificial flavors, colors and preservatives. It's healthiest to feed a grain-free diet and some well recommended brands of both wet (considered most healthy) and dry food available in your pet supply store are: Wellness, Wellness CORE, Felidae, Blue Buffalo, and many others. Just read the labels and make sure real meat or fish is the first ingredient and it doesn't contain any of the aforementioned allergens. She also may be nibbling on any plants or flowers you may have in the house or on another toxic or non-food item which can cause stomach upset.

For the moment, you can mix 1 TBS of plain canned pumpkin (not pie filling) into a small amount of her canned food, daily (this is not an instant fix, but the natural fiber is beneficial and it usually takes about 2 weeks to see the effect); also mix 1 tsp. plain, unflavored yogurt or Culturelle (should be found in your supermarket near the yogurts) in with her canned food twice a day. Keep her on a bland diet of plain boiled chicken breast (skinless) without any seasonings mixed with plain boiled white rice, for the time being. You can also add a teaspoon of infant rice cereal to her canned food. She can also be given plain jarred baby food meat containing no onion products, garlic, or any seasonings at all, which is also bland, but only for short term use until you can see the vet. Beechnut Stage 1 chicken and chicken broth is a good one.

You can get FortiFlora, a probiotic nutritional supplement from your vet or order online. This is recommended for diarrhea in cats, and is also an immune system booster and contains extra taurine. See information here: FortiFlora

Your next best step would be an in person vet visit and bring that fecal sample with you, if possible, to save time. Once the cause of the diarrhea is diagnosed, Sissy will be treated and feeling much better.

I hope all will be well with your furry girl!

If you need any additional information or clarification, simply 'Reply' back without rating and I will be happy to help with any follow up questions. Please do not rate negatively if you still need information. Just click "Reply". Thank you!

If you found my answer helpful, a Positive Rating and Positive feedback on the survey, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Laughing

If you would like to request me to answer any new, future questions, please begin your post with "For Cher Only" and I will respond as soon as possible.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience: Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
Expert:  Cher replied 10 months ago.
Hi Marjorie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sissy. How is everything going?

Cher
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Sissy took to you food suggestions quickly. She put another stool outside the box that was quite soft to runny so I took it to the Vet for testing. Seems it was okay but had to take her in. They gave her a Vitamin B12 shot and some flora for her food plus an antibiotic. She loves the food suggestions and ate with a coming appetite today. I am to take her back in 3 days if not improved but she already is acting better thanks to your suggestions during the holiday. You were great!!

Expert:  Cher replied 10 months ago.
Hi again, Marjorie and thanks very much for your positive update on Sissy!

I was offline at the time you posted back, hence, the delayed response. Thank you for your patience.

I'm so glad to hear that she's doing better and she took very well to the food suggestions. I'm also glad to hear the vet had a look at her and gave her some treatments, plus Fortiflora to add to her food.

I hope she gets a good report when you bring her back in 3 days and her stools are improved. Please keep me posted!

Your kind words are truly appreciated and it's my pleasure to be of help to you and Sissy!

Warmest regards,
Cher