Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience as a veterinary practice owner working with cats. I am happy to give you practical information.

my 11 month old cat starting vomiting water-like fluid yesterday.

Customer Question

my 11 month old cat starting vomiting water-like fluid yesterday. The way she was gagging and retching suggested to me she was trying to cough up a fur ball. Today she has stopped vomiting but is lying lethargically in a corner. If I try to touch her she meows loudly and swats at my hand. Is this possibly the result of simply fur balls (I gave her some melted butter earlier today) or could it be something more serious like poisoning. Perhaps she licked the floor after it was sprayed with Raid Home Insect Killer containing d-trans allethrin, tetramethrin and piperonyl butoxide
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 10 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Is Lucky still eating?

Will she move if you pick her up?

Has she had a bowel movement or urinated?

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

She hasn't eaten since she started vomiting. I was able to hold her while we gave her the melted butter but right now she doesn't want to be touched at swats and growls at me. We haven't seen evidence of a bowel movement or urination.

Thank you Hugh for that information...

if she had gotten into the Raid, there would be excessive salivation and extreme pain. This does not sound like this is what is happening to Lucky....

It appears to me that Lucky has a hair ball or something else causing a partial obstruction. This mass is too far down her digestive tract to come out her mouth but it is still causing nausea. The best thing to do is purchase a product called Laxatone or Petromalt at the local pet store. This will be a more effective laxative than butter. Give 1/4 inch of this paste every 4 hrs for the first day and then this same dose twice per day for 2 days. If she is feeling better, then we have moved this partial obstruction through the digestive tract and she will be fine. Keep Lucky on a maintenance dose of Laxatone twice per week to prevent this from occurring again.

Since there is no more vomiting, I fear that she may have developed a total obstruction from this hair mass, Hugh and it is still good to continue giving the butter or Laxatone every 4 hrs....if it cannot move, then your vet will have to intervene to remove this mass.

I still so not believe that the Raid was responsible for this...if Lucky is not improved significantly by morning, take Lucky to the ER vet for evaluation...you will know by then if she will improve.

Does that make sense to you, Hugh?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

It makes good sense to me. Lucky has stopped vomiting and is lying quietly in a corner of the kitchen beside the fridge. For the most part, her eyes are closed as she tries to sleep or rest comfortably. I will get some Laxatone or Petramalt and begin administering it to her. Thank you for your advice.

You are very welcome, High...I would also recommend picking up a tube of Nutrical since it is very bad for cats to not eat...This is a high calorie supplement that you will give to Lucky every 4 hrs. also....this will give her the nutrients she needs to get past this...

Good Luck, Hugh...I will check in on you in a few days....
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience: I have 30 years of experience as a veterinary practice owner working with cats. I am happy to give you practical information.

Thank you so much, Hugh for your kind rating and generous Bonus. It is very much appreciated! Do not hesitate to contact me with any other concerns that you may have about Lucky's condition. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. If anything changes today, please let me know and I may be able to direct you....

Try to Have a great day!

Good morning, Hugh. This is Dr. Loretta checking in on Lucky. Is she doing any better? Thanks!