Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

I have a 16 yo feline that we found when she was about 4 days

I have a 16 yo feline that we found when she was about 4 days old.we needle dropped and bottle fed her until I could get her eating on her.anyway this cat has been all over Arizona with me and when my room are moved in 2 years ago the meowing started getting more excessive when we try to talk to each other.I just got bad from a 4 day out of town trip and now she constantly meows every time I leave the room.any suggestkons
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 10 months ago.

Hello, Dan and welcome to Just Answer!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX thanks very much for requesting me to answer your question about Elvira.

You are certainly very close and she is truly bonded to you; that is wonderful! Laughing

This is why she was 'jealous' when your roommate moved in and you were giving attention to someone other than her. It's also why she was meowing so much when you returned from your trip. She missed you terribly.

However, being a 'senior' cat, she is also more prone to develop certain underlying medical conditions which can also cause excessive vocalization (meowing) and panicking when she doesn't see you. Hyperthyroidism can cause hypervocalization, as can a condition called CDS--Cognitive Dysfunction Syndrome. This is like dementia or senility in older cats and she may meow when she feels disoriented or confused in her location. She wants you to come and rescue her. She also may have diminished hearing, which is common in older cats, and she meows so much because her own voice sounds strange to her; she keeps 'testing' it. Here is additional information about these conditions: Hyperthyroidism
CDS

I'm sharing this information with you not to alarm you, just to inform you that older cats may develop these conditions. For this reason, Elvira should be evaluated in person by her vet and have a routine senior blood work-up (including a thyroid test) to make sure all is well.

She may just be meowing so much because she's naturally verbal and she misses you and is afraid when she doesn't see you or hear you in the house. It might be a good idea to try a cat appeasing pheromone called Feliway. It comes in a spray and plug in diffuser. It emits calming pheromones (humans can't smell it) and helps stressed/anxious cats. All major pet supply stores carry it. Here is more information: Feliway There are also calming treats made by Composure treats, so look for those in the store as well, and you can also use Rescue Remedy for Pets , a homeopathic liquid that you can add to her water or rub on her gums. Use one or the other oral remedies; don't use them together. However, they can be used along with the Feliway.

First, take her to the vet for an examination and blood work and I hope all will be well with your sweet Elvira!

If you need any additional information or clarification, simply 'Reply' back without rating and I will be happy to help with any follow up questions. Please do not rate negatively if you still need information. Just click "Reply". Thank you!

If you found my answer helpful, a Positive Rating and Positive feedback on the survey, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Laughing

If you would like to request me to answer any new, future questions, please begin your post with "For Cher Only" and I will respond as soon as possible.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience: Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
Expert:  Cher replied 10 months ago.
Hi Dan,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Elvira. How is everything going?

Cher
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

cher.your answer was very well recieved.i ve given her more attention and the meowing has slowed-she still can't stand my roomate and still gives him the evil eye though

Expert:  Cher replied 10 months ago.
Hi again, Dan and thanks for your update and your kind words; they are truly appreciated!

I'm so glad to hear that Elvira's meowing has slowed down, now that you're giving her more attention! Perhaps if your roommate offered her some cat-healthy treats from his hand once or twice a day, her love can be 'bought'!

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
Also, when you give her attention, try to have your roommate nearby speaking softly to her and if you allow her to see you more often, together, while she is receiving positive attention/treats, she might start looking at him in a more positive light. It may take time, though, as you know felines are creatures of habit and changes take a while. But, let her see you and your roommate together, give her treats together, play with toys together, brush/comb her together, if she likes that, and she should start to associate your roommate with pleasurable things.

All my best to you, your roommate and Elvira!
Cher