Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

I understand the toxic effects that ibuprofen can have on cats.

I understand the toxic effects that ibuprofen can have on cats. My question is different. AFTER they were fed, my 3 cats were in a room in which a lot of Advil pills had been spilled on the floor. My question is. Would a well fed cat be inclined to eat a bad tasting pill

I am watching them for symptoms. It was any time between 1-4 hrs ago. They are again hungry and eating and appear normal
Category: Cat
Expert:  Candy R. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your kitties.

While we can never be certain that a cat will not eat a bitter pill because in fact some do, I can tell you that in my experience it is rare to see a cat that would do more then bite in to one of these pills. In fact when we hear that a cat has eaten medication we often tell owners to look every where for the pills because more often then not the cat has just played with the pills and not actually ingested them.

In most cases when a cat chews a pill we see pretty severe drooling and or foaming at the mouth which will often leave the hair on the neck and even the chest wet.

Again I cannot say they did not eat this so I would continue to monitor them for the next 24-48 hours and if you see any changes at all get them in to the vet.

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue.
Candy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And the most common diagnostic symptoms to look for? and by your answer I assume that in the remote chance thu did ingest a pill, the window of vulnerability is 1-2 days?
Expert:  Candy R. replied 1 year ago.
The first thing we normally see is vomiting and loss of appetite the vomit will often contain blood. Unfortunately as I am sure you know even one 200 mg tablet can have fatal effects on cats. Not only can it cause bleeding in the digestive tract it can cause kidney failure and this can take a few days to show up. Signs of kidney failure would be loss of appetite, increased or decreased drinking with increased urination or no urine production at all
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience: Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer